Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Encrypted Hard Drive

I was given a 27” Mac by a relative and so erased the Hard Drive. But used the encrypted option, because I have an encrypted Time Machine back-up. Thinking it wouldn’t load if the new Mac wasn’t similar.

However, when I try to install from the Time Machine it says I cant use the Hard Drive because it’s locked.

So I tried to erase the Hard Drive and install a fresh OS onto an un-encrypted hard drive. It starts the process, but just get’s stuck.

At a complete loss on what to do, can someone help me please?

Posted on Oct 7, 2022 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 5:37 PM

Erase the whole physical drive again. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Make sure to use a GUID partition and an appropriate file system for the version of macOS being installed since you did not give us any specific details.

If the iMac has a Fusion Drive, then erase the Fusion Drive instead unless you recreate the Fusion Drive.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2022 5:37 PM in response to keanpjp

Erase the whole physical drive again. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Make sure to use a GUID partition and an appropriate file system for the version of macOS being installed since you did not give us any specific details.

If the iMac has a Fusion Drive, then erase the Fusion Drive instead unless you recreate the Fusion Drive.

Encrypted Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.