Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 15.7 Mail

Creating tabs in Mail on my iPad with IOS 15.7 is easy, but I feel very stupid I can't remove those tabs. They disappear and reappear, but I don't want to see them anymore. In Safari it is no problem. But what's the trick in Mail?? (And yes I've been searching the internet!)

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Oct 8, 2022 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 2:10 AM

The icon/button that you describe/illustrate merely triggers display of the Mail Shelf (the Shelf being a new feature of iPadOS multitasking environment). Tapping the icon summons the shelf view - which will show you a thumbnail image of all the running instances of the Mail App. Where multiple instances are running, a simple tap of a thumbnail will instantly switch to that view.

The iPadOS multitasking environment permits you to run multiple “instances” or views of the same App, such as Mail - with each instance, perhaps having a different open inbox.

For example, if you have three running instances/views of Mail, tapping the icon you describe will open the shelf with three thumbnails - each corresponding to each view within Mail - an individual view perhaps relating to a mailbox or draft Mail message. Simply tapping a thumbnail will switch directly to that running instance/view of the Mail App. 

This article from Appleinsider has a useful explanation of this new feature along with many of the updates to multitasking:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/08/12/how-to-master-multitasking-on-ipad-and-ipad-pro-in-ipados-15

Another useful resource:

Use multitasking on your iPad - Apple Support

The iPad User Guide is available both online using a web browser (such as Safari), or as an Apple Books download:

iPad User Guide - Apple Support

https://books.apple.com/book/id1567104892

You should perhaps note that iPadOS15 multitasking, shelf and associated features cannot be disabled - but do not have to be actively used.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2022 2:10 AM in response to ArnlddR

The icon/button that you describe/illustrate merely triggers display of the Mail Shelf (the Shelf being a new feature of iPadOS multitasking environment). Tapping the icon summons the shelf view - which will show you a thumbnail image of all the running instances of the Mail App. Where multiple instances are running, a simple tap of a thumbnail will instantly switch to that view.

The iPadOS multitasking environment permits you to run multiple “instances” or views of the same App, such as Mail - with each instance, perhaps having a different open inbox.

For example, if you have three running instances/views of Mail, tapping the icon you describe will open the shelf with three thumbnails - each corresponding to each view within Mail - an individual view perhaps relating to a mailbox or draft Mail message. Simply tapping a thumbnail will switch directly to that running instance/view of the Mail App. 

This article from Appleinsider has a useful explanation of this new feature along with many of the updates to multitasking:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/08/12/how-to-master-multitasking-on-ipad-and-ipad-pro-in-ipados-15

Another useful resource:

Use multitasking on your iPad - Apple Support

The iPad User Guide is available both online using a web browser (such as Safari), or as an Apple Books download:

iPad User Guide - Apple Support

https://books.apple.com/book/id1567104892

You should perhaps note that iPadOS15 multitasking, shelf and associated features cannot be disabled - but do not have to be actively used.

Oct 17, 2022 7:46 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you, LotusPilot.

Now I can find out more about this new feature knowing it is a new feature and how it is called!

And it would have been nice if there was a name or description with the icon I mentioned. (As the other icon has "Filter").

My problem was how to reduce the shelf with 5 thumbnails to a shelf with 2 thumbnails. Luckely I discovered that sliding the thumbnail up (almost halfway the iPad?) it disappears. And yes, it was descibed in: Use mutitasking on your iPad, somewhere halfway the article.

So far so good.

IOS 15.7 Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.