Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Related Article: Apple security releases

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why won’t the update verify to install on my phone?

I downloaded the new update which went fine but now every time i click the install button it loads for a second then says it was unable to verify. this has never happened before and I’m very confused…

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 8, 2022 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2022 12:24 PM

To update over the air from the phone all of these requirements must be met:

• You need at least 6 GB of free storage; more is better
  • You must be connected to a Wi-Fi network (and not a personal hotspot)
  • The phone must be charged to at least 50%, and preferably plugged in so it stays above 50% during the update
  • The phone must not be in Low Power Mode
  • The phone must not be connected through VPN, and it may be necessary to delete any VPN apps and VPN profiles
  • The phone cannot be in Airplane mode
  • You cannot still have a beta version installed on the phone
  • You cannot have a previous version that was downloaded, but not installed - go to Settings/General/iPhone Storage to look; if you find an iOS installer, delete it

If you can't meet all of them you can still update using your computer.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2022 12:24 PM in response to tommie_s

To update over the air from the phone all of these requirements must be met:

• You need at least 6 GB of free storage; more is better
  • You must be connected to a Wi-Fi network (and not a personal hotspot)
  • The phone must be charged to at least 50%, and preferably plugged in so it stays above 50% during the update
  • The phone must not be in Low Power Mode
  • The phone must not be connected through VPN, and it may be necessary to delete any VPN apps and VPN profiles
  • The phone cannot be in Airplane mode
  • You cannot still have a beta version installed on the phone
  • You cannot have a previous version that was downloaded, but not installed - go to Settings/General/iPhone Storage to look; if you find an iOS installer, delete it

If you can't meet all of them you can still update using your computer.

Oct 8, 2022 12:26 PM in response to tommie_s

Make sure that your iPhone is setup to meet the following requirements before you attempt to update the iOS version over a Wi-Fi Network. Open Settings ➡️ General ➡️ Software Update: If there is an update available for your iPhone then it will be listed here. Follow the on-screen instructions to download and update your iPhone. 

• Your iPhone must have a fast Wi-Fi connection; you cannot update over cellular data or a cellular hotspot
  • The iPhone can not be in Low Power mode
  • The battery state of charge must be above 50%
  • Your iPhone must have at least 6GB or more free storage space
  • Your iPhone cannot be connected through VPN
  • You should leave the phone plugged in until it finishes updating, both to assure that it remains above 50% and to keep Wi-Fi enabled (Wi-Fi turns off when the phone sleeps if not connected to power).

Axel F.

why won’t the update verify to install on my phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.