You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set a Default Keyboard Input Source???

After a restart, my keyboard input source defaults to one of the 3 options I have available (System Preferences>Keyboard>Input Sources).

It's not the first alphabetically in the list of 3.

It's an extra step when logging in to go up and change the desired keyboard input.

How does one set "U.S." as the default option?

Many thanks!

Mac Studio, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 8, 2022 1:08 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Oct 13, 2022 5:45 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Many thanks for replying and sharing your expertise!

Unfortunately, sudo cp ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.HIToolbox.plist /Library/Preferences/ didn't work.

Could it be because (Filevault is indeed enabled):

Keyboards are US and Dvorak. My MBP always defaults to Dvorak. (The 3rd one, "ABC Extended", seems to have gone away with multiple reboots).

Much appreciated!

Oct 8, 2022 1:48 PM in response to dialabrain

Thanks much for both of your posts!

However, neither seems to provide an option to set the default keyboard input source. I can highlight US in System Prefs, but next time I open it the 1st one on the list shows up again :(

Language & Region shows "United States".

And FWIW, a weird glitch: this behavior only seems to show up if Filevault is enabled!

One would think Apple would make it east to set a default, but that doesn't seem to be the case...

Set a Default Keyboard Input Source???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.