Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emoji BAR removal

How do I get rid of the emoji BAR that appears on top of my keyboard that is NOT predictive text? I'd like to get rid of it, if this is not possible, can I change the random emojis there? Not really fun when I'm typing a message sending my condolences and then accidentally tapping the blushing smiley at the end of it. I never even use that emoji, so is it standardized or something? It's very frustrating for me. Thank you in advance!

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Oct 8, 2022 2:08 PM

3 replies

Oct 10, 2022 8:38 AM in response to jiapia

Presumably your refer to the App Toolbar? To suppress (or expose) the visible toolbar, just tap the Apps icon - highlighted here in red…:

If not the above, perhaps you instead wish to dismiss the Memoji features - these often being considered inappropriate within business environments. Memoji can be largely disabled/inhibited from device Settings.

From the Messages App, tap the Apps icon that appears to the left of the Test Message input box (as discussed above); scroll all the way to the right of the icons that appear - to the ellipsis (three dots) icon...

Tap the ellipsis icon, then select Edit.

Scroll down until you reach the Memoji Stickers option - set to OFF

Next, in Settings:

Settings > General > Keyboards > Memoji Stickers - set to OFF

A further area to explore is the Emoji keyboard itself. This can be entirely removed from your on-screen keyboard:

Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards - tap Edit, then remove the Emoji Keyboard with the red “-“ button.

I hope this information and guidance is helpful in resolving the issue.

Nov 22, 2022 6:13 AM in response to LotusPilot

Hey guys, thank you for your responses, but I'm not talking about either of those things. In fact, I made a point to mention it was not predictive text. It's certainly not a sticker. Please see the attached picture. Ever since I did an update, that row at the top appears, and it never changes. I have no idea how they even picked those emojis as I never use them. The last emoji (near the "return" button) is a blushing smiley. If I'm not careful, I hit it with my pinky constantly. A relative of mine passed away, and I hit that emoji when I was telling his daughter I was sorry for her loss. MEGA embarrassing! See how it's a bar above the predictive text? You can see my icon on the left near the text field. The never changing emoji bar is right under it, and the predictive text is under the emoji bar (it's empty for the moment because I'm not typing anything. I want to get rid of the emoji bar completely as it's a nuisance to the nth degree. How do they even choose these when I have never used more than half of them? Esp the dastardly blushing smiley which is the ultimate bane of my existence at the moment.

If anyone could help, I'd be ETERNALLY GRATEFUL!

Thank you for everything!

-Jia

Oct 10, 2022 8:10 AM in response to jiapia

Hey there, jiapia!

Thanks so much for using Apple Support Communities.

We want to help make sure that you're able to use your iPhone comfortably and seamlessly, so we're glad to help you get this squared away.

It sounds like the bar you're referring to is called "Predictive Text". This feature basically suggests certain words or auto-fill details to make typing a little easier. One of the features can also include replacing certain words with emoji, so you could say "apple" and it would suggest replacing that word with the apple emoji. The good news is, you can turn this feature off at anytime in Settings > General > Keyboards. Underneath the section titled "All Keyboards", simply turn off "Predictive" and you'll be good to go.

If that doesn't do the trick, go ahead and reply back here with some more details and the community may be able to weigh in further.

We hope that this information is helpful.

​Have a great day!

Emoji BAR removal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.