Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera angle on ipad 9 for zoom/facetime

When using Facetime and Zoom, the camera angle shows me looking down and

away from the center if the screen. Is there any way to adjust the lens angle? I

turned on portrait and turned off the function where the camera moves

with me. This helped some. I use Zoom often for work and it is important that I have as near to direct eye contact as possible in my virtual meetings with individuals (while still being able to see their faces in the center of my screen). My iphone and laptop do not have this problem, nor do I recall it being an issue on my old ipad mini.

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Oct 8, 2022 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 4:39 AM

By necessity, the iPad camera is off-axis; the bigger the screen and the closer you are to it, the more this physical limitation becomes apparent. This effect is not limited to iPad, but similarly affects all computing platforms that employ a front-facing camera.

Unless you are looking directly at the camera, you gaze will never appear to be looking in its direction.

When comparing with a a desktop or laptop PC, the camera is most often placed at the top as opposed to the side of the screen (as is the case when using your iPad in Landscape orientation). As such, when using a PC, you gaze may appear to be below and away from the camera axis. A correctly positioned laptop will have the top-edge of the screen (and hence the camera) will be approximately at eye-level. Whilst your gaze will still be directed downwards, the off-axis effect will be minimised.

It follows that the only way that this limitation could be fully resolved is to place the camera lens dead-centre - looking through your screen. Clearly, this is not a viable proposition with currently available technology.

In conclusion, there is nothing that you can do - other than to place the screen slightly further away to reduce the unavoidable effect.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2022 4:39 AM in response to T1L1

By necessity, the iPad camera is off-axis; the bigger the screen and the closer you are to it, the more this physical limitation becomes apparent. This effect is not limited to iPad, but similarly affects all computing platforms that employ a front-facing camera.

Unless you are looking directly at the camera, you gaze will never appear to be looking in its direction.

When comparing with a a desktop or laptop PC, the camera is most often placed at the top as opposed to the side of the screen (as is the case when using your iPad in Landscape orientation). As such, when using a PC, you gaze may appear to be below and away from the camera axis. A correctly positioned laptop will have the top-edge of the screen (and hence the camera) will be approximately at eye-level. Whilst your gaze will still be directed downwards, the off-axis effect will be minimised.

It follows that the only way that this limitation could be fully resolved is to place the camera lens dead-centre - looking through your screen. Clearly, this is not a viable proposition with currently available technology.

In conclusion, there is nothing that you can do - other than to place the screen slightly further away to reduce the unavoidable effect.

Camera angle on ipad 9 for zoom/facetime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.