Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable Viewing Wi-Fi Password in iOS16

Recently iOS 16 enabled viewing the wi-fi password in Setting>Wi-fi and then clicking on the 'i'. The result of this is that my kids and other family members are now able to view the wi-fi password and can unknowingly share it with others. I feel that the information that I was trying to keep hidden for safety reasons is now exposed and I have no way to control it.

1. Can I disable viewing the wi-fi password option for others in iOS16?
  2. Are there any settings for me to lock the section for my family members and not allow them to view/change wi-fi settings?

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 8, 2022 3:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2022 5:02 PM

Axel,

Thanks. I just checked with Apple Support and got the same response. I have provided feedback. I believe that Apple had good intentions when they enabled this feature, however, for families where a lot depends on hiding this information from others, users should have the option to allow others to see this password or keep it hidden.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2022 5:02 PM in response to Axel Foley

Axel,

Thanks. I just checked with Apple Support and got the same response. I have provided feedback. I believe that Apple had good intentions when they enabled this feature, however, for families where a lot depends on hiding this information from others, users should have the option to allow others to see this password or keep it hidden.

Oct 8, 2022 6:23 PM in response to skyisblue

“Unknowingly share”?

You’re really headed toward an enterprise network here, in terms of the Wi-Fi access control problems you are working to avoid or to prevent. And in terms of the added complexity.

You’re already a little behind here too, as it’s long been possible to AirDrop the Wi-Fi password.

I’d try an MDM profile for this current case, using the Apple Configurator 2 app. AC2 is free, and fairly easy to use, and avoids needing to know details of the MDM setup. I don’t have an iOS 16 test device handy to try, or I’d check whether this works myself. Creating and loading a Wi-Fi profile using AC2 is something you could experiment with.

The “nasty way” to maintain (some) control is to record the MAC addresses for the clients, and block unknown addresses. This requires you to manage each new Wi-Fi connection.

Yet more setup is RADIUS, but you’ll need a server for that. Synology NAS RADIUS, or otherwise.

As an alternative, I’d consider printing out a QR code for a guest network, and have the friends and guests scan that and join that Wi-Fi network.

Disable Viewing Wi-Fi Password in iOS16

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.