Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirTag notifications pause indefinitely

My wife and I both got AirTags for the keys of our cars.

The AirTag on my car key is linked to my iPhone/Apple ID.

the AirTag on my wife’s car key is linked to my wife’s iPhone/Apple ID

Sometimes we drive each others cars alone.

When I driver her car, I receive a notification that an unknown air tag is following me because her AirTag is on the car key.

How do I tell my phone that my wife’s AirTag is a trusted and known Tag so that I don’t keep getting the notifications?

I see there is an option to ‘pause for today’. But I want to pause the notifications forever. And that option is not available.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Best regards

Zam

Posted on Oct 8, 2022 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 3:15 PM

I contacted Apple support - spoke to a Sr. advisor. After spending 45 minutes trying to explain to me that this is how an AirTag (whether it's family or not) it is supposed to work the line got disconnected. She never called back. SMH.

So no one knows. This didn't happen when we were on iOS 15. This is post iOS 16. She asked me that I could turn off all notifications thus eliminating a rogue AirTag notification. Not paranoid or anything but this is not the solution.

Family sharing should allow me to mute these notifications indefinitely. Family sharing should be smart enough to know that if I am sharing my location with the rest of my family and they are doing the same thing I don't need an AirTag to track them. I can use find my phone to track their phones. So the argument is stupid imo.

Surely, I can't be the only one with this issue. I find that strange.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2022 3:15 PM in response to Chattanoogan

I contacted Apple support - spoke to a Sr. advisor. After spending 45 minutes trying to explain to me that this is how an AirTag (whether it's family or not) it is supposed to work the line got disconnected. She never called back. SMH.

So no one knows. This didn't happen when we were on iOS 15. This is post iOS 16. She asked me that I could turn off all notifications thus eliminating a rogue AirTag notification. Not paranoid or anything but this is not the solution.

Family sharing should allow me to mute these notifications indefinitely. Family sharing should be smart enough to know that if I am sharing my location with the rest of my family and they are doing the same thing I don't need an AirTag to track them. I can use find my phone to track their phones. So the argument is stupid imo.

Surely, I can't be the only one with this issue. I find that strange.

Nov 16, 2022 3:44 PM in response to zamshabeer

I'm having the same problem. Opened a case with Apple, I was told to restart devices, turn off and on location sharing, etc etc. We are all in an Apple 'Family' by my wife and I still get notifications of each others tags following us with NO option to pause indefinitely. It's really annoying. Has anyone actually resolved it when you've done everything Apple says to do and it still doesn't work?

Thanks

Oct 16, 2022 4:17 AM in response to Chattanoogan

Hello all

I didn't realise there was an Apple family feature.

My wife and I are now setup as an Apple family.

We no longer receive the annoying notifications. I didn't even get a chance to select the pause indefinitely option cause the notifications are no longer coming.

Whether the notification will come if someone truly is stalking us -......I don't know. I will have to check with a 3rd party's airtag.

So it looks like the family route has solved the issue.

We are both on iOS16 on iPhoneX. Before we installed the airtag, we updated the iOS to 16.

Hope that helps

Oct 16, 2022 5:15 AM in response to zamshabeer

THANK YOU so much for posting back! 😀

THAT’s indeed good news.

I was beginning to harbor self-doubts; but tried it again myself Saturday during a football “halftime” break.

”My Bad” for not being more clear about what was meant by the term “Apple Family.”

Lesson self-learned about “clear communication” and making invalid reader assumptions when using non-standard “lingo.”

AirTag notifications pause indefinitely

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.