Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac accepts login and gets halfway through loading

I signed into my iMac and the bar loads to about halfway and appears to stall. I have tried rebooting. I have tried svram. I tried disk utility repair a couple of times. What could be the problem?

Posted on Oct 8, 2022 8:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2022 9:22 PM

This article is meant to cover this situation:

If your Mac starts up to an Apple logo or progress bar - Apple Support

When the Apple logo appears, that signifies that a disk that appears to be a boot disk has been found. But if the boot up stalls, then something is wrong with the MacOS installation, or there is a hardware fault.

You could try booting into safe mode.

In the above article, it is suggested also to reinstall the MacOS. Have you tried that?

A hardware fault would need to be evaluated by an Apple Authorized Service Provider. What model and year is your iMac?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2022 9:22 PM in response to Sarakayvp

This article is meant to cover this situation:

If your Mac starts up to an Apple logo or progress bar - Apple Support

When the Apple logo appears, that signifies that a disk that appears to be a boot disk has been found. But if the boot up stalls, then something is wrong with the MacOS installation, or there is a hardware fault.

You could try booting into safe mode.

In the above article, it is suggested also to reinstall the MacOS. Have you tried that?

A hardware fault would need to be evaluated by an Apple Authorized Service Provider. What model and year is your iMac?

iMac accepts login and gets halfway through loading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.