Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can’t I rotate my ipad screen even when I unlock the screen lock?

Why can’t I rotate my iPad screen even when I unlock the screen lock?

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 10:13 AM

For iPad models with a Home button, do a simple hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake/power button simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

OR

For much newer design iPad models, without a Home button, try the new simple hard reset procedure for the new 2018/2020/2021 iPad Pros, 2020 iPad Air 4 and 2021 iPad Mini 6 models.

1. Press and release the volume button closest to the top Power button

2. Then immediately press and release the volume button farthest from the top Power button.

3. Then, press and hold the single sleep/wake/power button You will see the Slide to Power off button, but keep on holding down the power button until you see the Apple logo, then let it go.

Once you have performed all the steps, wait for a few seconds and your 2018 iPad Pro will boot up completely to the iPad Pro’s Lock screen.

Best of Luck to You!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2022 10:13 AM in response to jessesaimon45

For iPad models with a Home button, do a simple hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake/power button simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

OR

For much newer design iPad models, without a Home button, try the new simple hard reset procedure for the new 2018/2020/2021 iPad Pros, 2020 iPad Air 4 and 2021 iPad Mini 6 models.

1. Press and release the volume button closest to the top Power button

2. Then immediately press and release the volume button farthest from the top Power button.

3. Then, press and hold the single sleep/wake/power button You will see the Slide to Power off button, but keep on holding down the power button until you see the Apple logo, then let it go.

Once you have performed all the steps, wait for a few seconds and your 2018 iPad Pro will boot up completely to the iPad Pro’s Lock screen.

Best of Luck to You!

Oct 9, 2022 10:40 AM in response to jessesaimon45

To switch between Portrait and Landscape view, you generally only need to rotate the iPad to the desired screen orientation.

For newer models of iPad without a side-switch, you may need to disable your Screen Rotation Lock. To do so, you need to access the Control Centre; swipe downwards from the top-right corner of the screen - then tap the Screen Rotation lock icon:

Some older models of iPad have a physical side-switch that can be configured, in iPad settings, to either lock screen rotation or mute audio.

If screen rotation proves to be problem with some Apps - and not others - you need to be aware that not all Apps are coded to operate in both Portrait and Landscape screen modes. Apps that have a fixed screen orientation will always* appear in the orientation determined by the App Developer.

(*) For compatible Apps that are intended for iPhone, iPadOS15 will now automatically rotate the App to display in Landscape screen orientation. There is no manual configuration or setting to enable this feature.

However, Apps designed for iPad that are expressly coded to force Portrait screen orientation, iPadOS15 will honour the intended Portrait mode. iPadOS15 will not override the App coding.

Why can’t I rotate my ipad screen even when I unlock the screen lock?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.