Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Update in Monterey shows Safari Developer Preview

Just installed Monterey 12.6.1 (from a downloaded image) and noticed that Software Update wants to update my Safari to a Developer Preview. It shows Safari 16.1 Seed 3 as an available update and keeps trying to install it via Automatic updates.

Is there any way to disable previews and beta software from showing up in Software Update?

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 9:30 AM

Were you ever in the Beta program? Look at the System/General/Software Update preference pane under Automatic Updates to see if it indicates you're enrolled in the Beta program. If you are there will be a link "Learn More". Clicking on it will give you this window where you can opt out of the beta program.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2022 9:30 AM in response to BrShootr

Were you ever in the Beta program? Look at the System/General/Software Update preference pane under Automatic Updates to see if it indicates you're enrolled in the Beta program. If you are there will be a link "Learn More". Clicking on it will give you this window where you can opt out of the beta program.

Oct 9, 2022 9:50 AM in response to dialabrain

Interesting replies, I made sure to download the install from Apple, but must have downloaded a pre-release version. I have never enrolled in the beta program and don't see any of the settings you're both referring to. It seems a Time Machine restore to version 11 and re-installing from scratch is in store for me. (and paying closer attention to the version next time)

I can't un-enroll from pre-release versions as I have no settings related to beta or developer mode.

Oct 9, 2022 11:43 AM in response to dialabrain

dialabrain wrote:

BrShootr wrote:

Interesting replies, I made sure to download the install from Apple, but must have downloaded a pre-release version.
FWIW, unless you sign up for one of the beta programs, there is no legitimate way for someone to download that file. Which is why you ended up in the pickle you found yourself in.

You are 100% correct. I typically use command line to create a bootable USB drive off the installer in the Applications folder. Should have stuck with my typical procedure.

Software Update in Monterey shows Safari Developer Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.