Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Icloud and system data size

I have recently noticed that my system data and icloud data size on my mac is extremely large. I do have optimize storage on for iCloud and i see that it states that my entire iCloud will be stored locally. Older documents will be stored in the cloud when space is needed.

I have a 256GB HD

Icloud is 98.51 GB

System Data is 76.02 GB

Does this mean for whatever reason i install an application or need to download a file from the internet that my mac will automatically free up space as needed? if not, what do i do to free up space i have rune clean my mac to delete files and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 10:08 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 9, 2022 9:59 PM in response to Ebanvolio

Apple has changed the names of the items in the list of used storage on macOS 13.

You may also want to see: See used and available storage space on your Mac – Apple Support (UK) and compare the Monterey version of this document to the previous Big Sur version.

• What now is shown as "System Data" used to be called "Other storage" on macOS 12.
  • The size of the system itself used to be listed as "System" and is now listed as macOS.

The local copies of your iCloud Drive data are cached in your user library ~/Library/Mobile Documents . This folder can be huge and blow up the amount of System Data shown. The "Optimize Storage" option should prevent to many downloads, however. Usually we do not have to worry about the size of System data as the system is managing this.

Icloud and system data size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.