Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recording and Streaming?

I'd like to record some DJ sessions and live concerts. Can you run a line in into the iPad (from the output of a mixer)? So far the apps I've seen only record from the built in mic. Also is there an app that let's you stream recordings live or at all for that matter?

Posted on Aug 13, 2010 7:54 AM

7 replies

Aug 13, 2010 12:12 PM in response to lllaass

thanks for trying to help but it's not a mic I'm looking for. I was wondering if you can record through a line in port. For example I can record straight from the out put of either a DJ mixer or main mixer by plugging them into the line in (or mic port) of my notebook. I would then use something like soundforge to record into.

I see that the iPad doesn't have a separate mic jack or dedicate line in but I was wonder if you can record through the headphone jack or if there was an adapter of some kind that will create one. If so, is there an app that will let you record this way and is there an app for doing live streams?

Hopefully I have describe what I'm looking for a bit better? Sorry about any confusion.

Aug 13, 2010 1:24 PM in response to Corsair Noir

USB adapter again. It supports the standard USB Audio Device HID, so anything will work pretty much, if the app supports it. Not all do. You want something like the cheap Behringer UFO202, or something like that but which also supports an external power supply (the adapter does not have much oomph there).

MultiTrack DAW works well this way. Since you know what a mixer is you might appreciate this app.

Note that you (currently) have to run the app first then plug in the adapter, or the iPad will just pop up a dialog complaining that the attached device is not supported. I'm guessing the culprit there is iPhoto.

Aug 13, 2010 1:48 PM in response to Corsair Noir

Ok... This may work for you. You need these three components:

Griffin iMic USB Audio Interface
http://store.apple.com/us/product/TX532ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjE&mco=MTc0Njk4NzU

Audio Cable
1/8 in./3.5mm

This is how I set it up to test if this would work, it does. Connect the USB Camera connecter to the iPad. Plug the Griffin iMic USB Audio Interface into the USB Camera Connecter. Plug a 1/8 audio into the Griffin iMic USB Audio Interface and the other end into an iPad nano... I used Memo Recorder free from the app store to record the audio..... Works no problem.

You might have to use a 1/8 audio with RCA on the other end, depending on the output connecter that is on the mixer.

Recording and Streaming?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.