Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 13 Pro Max ability to connect to WiFi 6E?

My Xfinity XB8 gateway has 2.4ghz, 5ghz and 6ghz (WiFi 6E, not WiFi 6). My and my wife ’s iPhone 13 Pro Max’s do not show the 6ghz WiFi being available, even though the gateway admin page says the SSID is being broadcast. Does the iPhone 13 Pro Max only support WiFi 6 and not 6E? We both have iOS 16.0.2. Thanks!

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 3:06 PM

Apple's website confirms that the ‌iPhone 14‌, ‌iPhone 14‌ Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, and ‌iPhone 14 Pro‌ Max are limited to Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) with 2x2 MIMO. Meaning 6E isn't supported.

Wi-Fi 6E devices will be backward compatible with Wi-Fi 6 and earlier Wi-Fi standards, but in order to use the new 6GHz channels, you'll need a Wi-Fi 6E router and a Wi-Fi 6E client device (meaning computers, phones, smart home devices, and other gadgets that support Wi-Fi 6E). 

This is probably why the 6Ghz SSID doesn't show in my iPhone Wifi networks, and why even if I try to manually connect by entering the SSID and selecting WPA3 (the gateway is set to use WPA3-Personal) It won't connect.

It's not that big of a deal because WiFi 6 hasn't much of a range...maybe 20 ft or so from what I have read but I was just wondering why my iPhone didn't even detect it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2022 3:06 PM in response to FoxFifth

Apple's website confirms that the ‌iPhone 14‌, ‌iPhone 14‌ Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, and ‌iPhone 14 Pro‌ Max are limited to Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) with 2x2 MIMO. Meaning 6E isn't supported.

Wi-Fi 6E devices will be backward compatible with Wi-Fi 6 and earlier Wi-Fi standards, but in order to use the new 6GHz channels, you'll need a Wi-Fi 6E router and a Wi-Fi 6E client device (meaning computers, phones, smart home devices, and other gadgets that support Wi-Fi 6E). 

This is probably why the 6Ghz SSID doesn't show in my iPhone Wifi networks, and why even if I try to manually connect by entering the SSID and selecting WPA3 (the gateway is set to use WPA3-Personal) It won't connect.

It's not that big of a deal because WiFi 6 hasn't much of a range...maybe 20 ft or so from what I have read but I was just wondering why my iPhone didn't even detect it.

iPhone 13 Pro Max ability to connect to WiFi 6E?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.