Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos not import

Hello. On my macbook pro I had installed an older mac os catalina. I have my photos database stored on a network NAS drive. Everything worked properly, import and export. When I installed the new MAC OS Monterey, the photos import stopped working. When I put import photos a wheel appears at the top of the bar , showing the import process, but the import never completes. I have tried everything but still no success. For example timemashine works fine, I also have it on my NAS drive. But the import of photos does not work. Can you please fix this error?

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 2:47 PM

Please read this

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

You can't store your library on a storage device used for Time Machine backups. And to avoid possible data loss, don't store your library on a removable storage device, such as an SD card or USB flash drive, or on a device shared over your network or the internet, including over a cloud-based storage service.

Based on some other posts NAS has / will create issues.

Ralf

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2022 2:47 PM in response to andrej246

Please read this

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

You can't store your library on a storage device used for Time Machine backups. And to avoid possible data loss, don't store your library on a removable storage device, such as an SD card or USB flash drive, or on a device shared over your network or the internet, including over a cloud-based storage service.

Based on some other posts NAS has / will create issues.

Ralf

Oct 10, 2022 6:34 AM in response to Ralf-F

Hello Ralf, sorry, I forgot to write that I have time machine on an external drive that is connected via USB to a network NAS. So it is not on the same drive. I have 2x 1TB SSDs in the network NAS which are mirrored. I have been using this method of storing photos for a long time. I know that the database can be accessed by both users at the same time so that the database does not get corrupted. Everything worked perfectly until I installed the new Monterey system. I can open the photo database, I can export photos, I can change photo names, but the import stopped working. My database is currently 350GB, so I keep it on my , secure Synogoly NAS, which cannot be accessed from outside, only from the internal network. Therefore it's very, very fast, as if I had the photos stored on my macbook. I would very much like apple to fix this bug and make it work again like in the past.

Oct 10, 2022 8:00 AM in response to andrej246

The Photos Library must not be on any NAS - Apple does not guarantee that it is safe. Photos has been designed as a single user application, with the library residing on the device. Apple has been warning against keeping the library on a remotely mounted volume since the first release of Photos. Even if you did not noticed any problems before, the library might already have become damaged on the NAS a long time ago, and the changes in the new Photos version are now revealing the problems. The only safe way to store your photos remotely is iCloud Photos. But even with iCloud Photos, you need a local Photos Library on your devices.

photos not import

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.