Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download (ONLY) MacOS Catalina

My system became corrupt on my MacBook Air so the traditional 'restore' will not work because the restore image is no longer there. Using another MacBook (pro) to download (ONLY), Catalina, it fails saying that the OS is up to date (meaning the MacBook Pro). Then it stops without completing the download because it was trying to install the OS simultaneously . How can I just download the OS to a folder without it trying to install when the download I about 80% complete? I need to move the download to the MacBook Air. Thanks

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 5:19 PM

2 replies

Oct 9, 2022 5:48 PM in response to Bizzie247

You can create a bootable macOS USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

You will need access to a compatible Qualifying Mac in order to download the macOS installer. For example a Qualifying Mac for downloading a macOS 10.15 installer requires a Mac from 2012 to 2019. You can use this article to see which versions of macOS are compatible with various Apple hardware:

https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

After the macOS installer downloads, it will automatically launch. Just quit the installer like you would any other app. However, you need to pay attention to the download progress so you can quit the app before it starts the process of copying the installer files and rebooting the Mac.

Another option is to boot into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R which will boot to the most recent version of macOS online installer compatible with your Mac. In theory anyway since sometimes it may only boot to the online installer for the OS which originally shipped with the Mac from the factory.

Download (ONLY) MacOS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.