📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mouse reverse scrolling and not-Apple mouse

I need to invert the scrolling of the mouse, unfortunately in the system settings it does not find any mouse, probably because I have a laser mouse with not Apple wire, so I cannot invert the scrolling through Mac mouse settings

However, I wouldn't want to use any third-party apps like Scroll Reverser

How could I do?

I also thought about buying another mouse (always wired, not Apple), mine is a few years old even if it still works great.

But I wouldn't want the new mouse not to be recognized either.

Do I have to have an Apple mouse?

Mac mini, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 12:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 9:37 AM

The mouse certainly is compatible. It is a mouse, after all.

What perhaps is not compatible is the proprietary software, if any.

I don't know what features that software provides, but if it does not work, I am sure that the mouse itself can work with basic functionality - the left and right buttons and scroll wheel should just work with the system without requiring any software.

So if there is some proprietary software and it is not working, I would uninstall it and try to use the mouse just like that.

Or perhaps there is some updated version?

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 11, 2022 9:37 AM in response to Robyee

The mouse certainly is compatible. It is a mouse, after all.

What perhaps is not compatible is the proprietary software, if any.

I don't know what features that software provides, but if it does not work, I am sure that the mouse itself can work with basic functionality - the left and right buttons and scroll wheel should just work with the system without requiring any software.

So if there is some proprietary software and it is not working, I would uninstall it and try to use the mouse just like that.

Or perhaps there is some updated version?

Oct 10, 2022 1:07 AM in response to Robyee

No, you do not have to have an Apple mouse.

FWIW, I just connected a no-name mouse to my MBP, and in System Preferences->Mouse, I can change scrolling direction just by checking or unchecking this box:

I did not have to do anything, and this is just an old pc mouse. Notice it says nothing about the particular mouse, but it works, and immediately, too. No need to logout, restart or anything. Just change the box at will.

You may want to try that. It should work.

mouse reverse scrolling and not-Apple mouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.