Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download a copy of MacOS Big Sur to an external drive

I want to download a copy of my existing OS Big Sur from the App store to an external drive instead of it trying to download and auto-install directly to my existing system drive. From the App store, there is only a "get" button which triggers the auto-install on my Mac. How can I just download it and choose where it downloads to?

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 1:24 PM

The App Store downloads it to your /Applications folder and provides you with no option to place it elsewhere. It then opens the installer and asks you to proceed. Just cancel that process, and then move the installer from your /Applications folder to your external drive.

3 replies

Oct 10, 2022 1:49 PM in response to houstonalle

Follow previous advise First.

Another method involves running a Terminal script to download the Full Version of Bug Sur 11.7.

It will effectively do the same as pervious posting except it will not auto launch.

Terminal command below without Quotation Marks.

Suggest, Copy and Paste the command to make sure it will work on first attempt - if going this route.

" softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 11.7 "

Download a copy of MacOS Big Sur to an external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.