Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting Photos for space

My MacBook is due for an upgrade but I dont have enough storage. My MacBook and phone are synced. I want to delete my photos off of my MacBook- without having them deleted from my phone. How can I do this?

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 9:08 AM

You could get a small, external SSD to move your Photos library (and any seldom used files) to and plug it in when you needed to open the library or access the other files. An excellent choice is this extremely, portable SSD - OWC 250GB Envoy Pro mini:

This way you can keep all of your photos.

2 replies

Oct 11, 2022 8:40 AM in response to SamS91

Have you clicked Photos>Preferences>iCloud "Optimize Mac Storage?" That will cause the pictures on your MacBook to be smaller files of lower resolution, and it should save lots of space. The full pictures are in iCloud and available when you need them (for printing, for instance.) But "sync" means if you delete it here, it get's deleted there. You can't have "sync" and also be able to delete in one place without it happening everywhere.

Of course, you can turn off iCloud on your Mac, giving up syncing. You could delete anything or everything from your Mac Photos, and the pictures will remain on the iCloud website, as long as you keep Photos on your phone connected to iCloud.

Another options is to get an external hard drive and store your photos library there, removing the files from the MacBook completely.

Deleting Photos for space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.