Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shipping iMac overseas

Hi there,

I'm travelling overseas and I'd like to take an iMac 24" with me, dispatching it.

What's the safest way of doing it? Should I use its original box (I've heard it is pretty sturdy)? Is there any insurance recommended?

Thanks

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 4:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 8:38 PM

The Apple iMac original packing has excellent protection. I think it can withstand some rough handling. On a plane flight you can pay extra for special handling and they will bring your box to the claim area separately from all the bags that go on the conveyor belts. I would also get insurance and make sure you have two reliable backups in case you have to get a new computer despite all that. Contact the airline to ask about the special handling.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2022 8:38 PM in response to filipemm

The Apple iMac original packing has excellent protection. I think it can withstand some rough handling. On a plane flight you can pay extra for special handling and they will bring your box to the claim area separately from all the bags that go on the conveyor belts. I would also get insurance and make sure you have two reliable backups in case you have to get a new computer despite all that. Contact the airline to ask about the special handling.

Oct 10, 2022 7:48 PM in response to filipemm

The box our 24" iMac came it is like a fortress. Very good and protective packaging, lots of well packed cushioning.

That said, I'd wonder if the shipping charges you are talking about might be a good fraction of the cost of the iMac? And yes, I would absolutely insure it for its full value.

We have a couple of older MacBook Airs and that's what I take on trips. Very portable, can easily carry on airplanes and use to do work or watch movies, etc.

A new M1 MacBook Air starts at $999 and a new M2 MacBook Air starts at $1199. I am guessing that shipping of a huge iMac box (round trip) plus insurance will amount to a significant fraction of a new MacBook Air.

Shipping iMac overseas

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.