Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K Remote lag

A couple years ago, and soon after they were released, I purchased a 2nd Generation Apple TV 4K (mostly because the trackpad on Siri remote was so horrible).

Even thoughI still struggle with the trackpad on the new remote (its not much better) I was greeted with yet another very annoying Apple TV remote issue, an incredibly bad lag.

This was not a problem, as I recall, with tvOS 14, but became a huge issue with the TV app on tvOS 15 and is still an issue with tvOS 16.

I read support forum advice from every source I could and found that this problem is widespread. I followed what advice I could find (such as use a shielded 4K HDR cable and move the Apple TV console further from my LG OLED55B1PUA television). However, to date, nothing has worked.

Then I remembered, the problem did not appear to exist with tvOS 14 and, as far as I can tell, is only an issue in Apple's TV app in tvOS 15 and tvOS 16.

Who else has seen this issue?

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 5:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 10:23 AM

Hi ricfromkennewick,

Let's resolve the issue by completing the steps listed here: If your Apple TV remote isn't working - Apple Support that are also listed below.

Try these steps first
1. If you have a Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote, charge it for 30 minutes using a Lightning to USB cable and a USB wall charger. If you have an Apple Remote, replace the battery
2. Unplug your Apple TV from the wall power outlet. Wait at least six seconds, then plug it back in.
If your remote still isn't working as expected, follow the steps for your type of remote. After each step, see if you still need help.

Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote
Image of Siri Remote (1st generation) or Apple TV Remote (1st generation) and Siri Remote (2nd generation) or Apple TV Remote (2nd generation).

1. Press and hold the TV/Control Center button  and the Volume Down button  at the same time. Hold the buttons down for about 5 seconds, or until the status light on Apple TV turns off then turns on again.  
2. Release the buttons, then wait 5–10 seconds. A Connection Lost notification will appear on your TV screen. 
3. After your remote restarts, a Connected notification will appear on your TV screen. 

If your remote still isn't working as expected, try these steps: 
1. Point your remote at your Apple TV. Make sure that the remote is about three inches from the Apple TV. 
2. Press and hold Back  (or Menu) and Volume Up  for five seconds.
3. If asked, place your remote on top of Apple TV to complete pairing.
If you can't pair your Siri Remote (2nd generation) or Apple TV Remote (2nd generation), make sure that your Apple TV is updated to tvOS 14.5 or later. You can use the Apple TV Remote on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to navigate your Apple TV to check which version of tvOS you have. 

Best regards.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2022 10:23 AM in response to ricfromkennewick

Hi ricfromkennewick,

Let's resolve the issue by completing the steps listed here: If your Apple TV remote isn't working - Apple Support that are also listed below.

Try these steps first
1. If you have a Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote, charge it for 30 minutes using a Lightning to USB cable and a USB wall charger. If you have an Apple Remote, replace the battery
2. Unplug your Apple TV from the wall power outlet. Wait at least six seconds, then plug it back in.
If your remote still isn't working as expected, follow the steps for your type of remote. After each step, see if you still need help.

Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote
Image of Siri Remote (1st generation) or Apple TV Remote (1st generation) and Siri Remote (2nd generation) or Apple TV Remote (2nd generation).

1. Press and hold the TV/Control Center button  and the Volume Down button  at the same time. Hold the buttons down for about 5 seconds, or until the status light on Apple TV turns off then turns on again.  
2. Release the buttons, then wait 5–10 seconds. A Connection Lost notification will appear on your TV screen. 
3. After your remote restarts, a Connected notification will appear on your TV screen. 

If your remote still isn't working as expected, try these steps: 
1. Point your remote at your Apple TV. Make sure that the remote is about three inches from the Apple TV. 
2. Press and hold Back  (or Menu) and Volume Up  for five seconds.
3. If asked, place your remote on top of Apple TV to complete pairing.
If you can't pair your Siri Remote (2nd generation) or Apple TV Remote (2nd generation), make sure that your Apple TV is updated to tvOS 14.5 or later. You can use the Apple TV Remote on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to navigate your Apple TV to check which version of tvOS you have. 

Best regards.

Apple TV 4K Remote lag

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.