Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues with Group Chat in Messaging Since 16.0 Update

Since the iOS 16.0 update, I am experiencing issues relative to Group Chats in Messaging.

Prior to this update, if I wanted to share a picture, or any other attachment from my iPhone 12, to a Group Chat in Messaging, from the picture or attachment itself, I would select Share, then Messaging, then type the first few letters of the Group Chat’s name, and it would autocomplete for me to send.

Since the update, not only does the autocomplete function not work, I can type in the entire name of the Group Chat and it won’t come up. I can completely delete that Group Chat, rebuild it from scratch, create an entirely new Group Chat with new people, it doesn’t matter. I cannot bring up ANY Group Chat Messages using the old process of sharing a photo or any other attachment that I outlined above.

I can still see all of my Group Chats in Messaging, and from the Search bar at the top of Messaging, I can search for and find these Group Chats. So I have a temporary workaround in the way of going to the Group Chat directly and attaching a photo or any other attachment there. But this is a workaround. We need a fix to this issue.

If you search up this issue outside of these forums, you will find a number of different ongoing discussions on this issue, it’s happening to a lot of users. Basically anyone who has done the 16.0 update and sends pictures to Group Chats in Messaging is going to experience this issue. I could not find an existing discussion in these forums so I thought that I’d post here as well.

iPhone 12

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 7:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 7:11 AM

Wow, just found a fix on MacRumors via a Reddit post by Dave7273, credit given.

This works!

Go to settings / Siri and search / scroll down to find messages / turn on ‘learn from this app’ / switch to the messages app / find a group and send a message

From now on, you should be able to search for groups from within the messages app and the share sheet.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2022 7:11 AM in response to mlb32704

Wow, just found a fix on MacRumors via a Reddit post by Dave7273, credit given.

This works!

Go to settings / Siri and search / scroll down to find messages / turn on ‘learn from this app’ / switch to the messages app / find a group and send a message

From now on, you should be able to search for groups from within the messages app and the share sheet.

Issues with Group Chat in Messaging Since 16.0 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.