Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert numerous markers to Chapter markers in one go?

Creating markers and converting them to chapter markers is time-consuming if you have around 50 to do.

Is there a way of creating simple markers and then batch-converting them to chapter markers?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.5

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 9:53 AM

I am back. And the news are good 😁

Just as I hoped, we can make good use of XML to solve our problem.

Here is a quick step by step:

1) Select your project, and do Export XML...

I recommend that, for now, you choose version 1.9 - this makes the next steps a little simpler (*)

2) Open the XML file with a text editor. I prefer TextMate, which is free, but you can even use TextEdit - just so long as you keep the file as Plain Text.

3) Do a global find and replace:

Find: <marker

Replace with: <chapter-marker

4) Save the file

5) In FCP do File->Import->XML... and select the file you just edited.

You will be warned that it may replace items already in your library. You may choose "Keep Both", so you will have the before and after versions of your project. Open the new one, and there you are!

I tried this with a small project with three markers (one of which was already a chapter marker) and it worked beautifully.

In fact it took much more time to write this post than it did to export, edit and import back.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2022 9:53 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

I am back. And the news are good 😁

Just as I hoped, we can make good use of XML to solve our problem.

Here is a quick step by step:

1) Select your project, and do Export XML...

I recommend that, for now, you choose version 1.9 - this makes the next steps a little simpler (*)

2) Open the XML file with a text editor. I prefer TextMate, which is free, but you can even use TextEdit - just so long as you keep the file as Plain Text.

3) Do a global find and replace:

Find: <marker

Replace with: <chapter-marker

4) Save the file

5) In FCP do File->Import->XML... and select the file you just edited.

You will be warned that it may replace items already in your library. You may choose "Keep Both", so you will have the before and after versions of your project. Open the new one, and there you are!

I tried this with a small project with three markers (one of which was already a chapter marker) and it worked beautifully.

In fact it took much more time to write this post than it did to export, edit and import back.

Oct 11, 2022 11:59 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks again Luis.

When I imported the xml it did not change the markers in the timeline until I discovered I had to double-click the project in the Browser in order for the markers in the timeline to change.

Excellent!

Just one minor hiccup . . . FCP crashed a few seconds later!

However, I repeated the process and all was well so it must have been a random glitch.

Convert numerous markers to Chapter markers in one go?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.