Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volatile external storage connected to a StarTech dock

Hi,

This is most likely a bit of a novice question. I have a Macbook connected to a StarTech dock, with up to three external drives hanging off the dock.

The external storage is a combination of encrypted and unencrypted drives (no partitions at the moment). I have an encrypted time machine sitting on one of the unencrypted drives.

The drives seem to be very volatile (becoming potentially unusable) if the Macbook is disconnected from the dock without the drives firstly being ejected.

I know ejecting the drives is best practice, but I can't legislate for being careless or one of my kids grabbing the Macbook. I've lost several time machines due to this problem (entire drives required reformatting). Is there a setting that would make the drives less volatile?

BTW, the drives have never been disconnected during a read / write operation, e.g. mid-time machine back-up. It seems anything without a proper eject means they are prone to corruption.

Thanks!

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 4:35 PM

Hello Klicho,

This is just a behavior of external storage devices with any computer. It's not really a best practice, but more of necessity to eject external storage devices. An external storage device, like a hard drive or flash drive, should always be ejected before being physically disconnected from a computer.

While disconnecting a device without properly ejecting it doesn't mean it will definitely cause damage to the files on it, the likelihood of it happening is high. If for some reason you're unable to eject a device (if you're getting an error or something when selecting the eject option) you would want to completely shut down the computer, then disconnect them.

Connect and use other storage devices with Mac

Since what your describing isn't a software based thing (someone is physically unplugging the devices without first ejecting them) there isn't any type of setting that would prevent that. There isn't any sort of physical locking device in the USB port that can prevent someone from unplugging it.

If someone else is doing this to your computer, really the only type of security or preventative measure would be to keep the computer in a secure space like an office with a locking door so others can't access it when you're not using it.

Cheers!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2022 4:35 PM in response to Klicho

Hello Klicho,

This is just a behavior of external storage devices with any computer. It's not really a best practice, but more of necessity to eject external storage devices. An external storage device, like a hard drive or flash drive, should always be ejected before being physically disconnected from a computer.

While disconnecting a device without properly ejecting it doesn't mean it will definitely cause damage to the files on it, the likelihood of it happening is high. If for some reason you're unable to eject a device (if you're getting an error or something when selecting the eject option) you would want to completely shut down the computer, then disconnect them.

Connect and use other storage devices with Mac

Since what your describing isn't a software based thing (someone is physically unplugging the devices without first ejecting them) there isn't any type of setting that would prevent that. There isn't any sort of physical locking device in the USB port that can prevent someone from unplugging it.

If someone else is doing this to your computer, really the only type of security or preventative measure would be to keep the computer in a secure space like an office with a locking door so others can't access it when you're not using it.

Cheers!

Oct 15, 2022 1:38 AM in response to Jaym_8

Thanks Jaym_8. Your reply was somewhat expected, but I was hoping there might be a solution out there.

I'm only about 18mths into my Apple experience. It does seem like the potential for drive corruption is higher with macOS compared to Windows, but it is a universal problem. Maybe it's the StarTech dock.

Thanks for your help.

Volatile external storage connected to a StarTech dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.