Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I upgrade to Mojave or Catalina? on iMac Retina 5K, 27" Late 2014, 16 GB RAM

I have an iMac Retina 5K, 27" Late 2014, 16 GB RAM. I am still running El Capitan 10.11.16 and have not updated for host of reasons (mostly old Adobe software and iPhotos mapping capabilities). I have to finally upgrade for email and browsing compatibility due to Let’s Encrypt's Root certificate expiring late September 2021 and Gmail changes last week. Should I upgrade to Mojave or Catalina? Is Mojave enough to avert Root Certificate expiration issues?

I use the Adobe Creative Suite CC so worried Catalina requires 4 GB of RAM, twice as much as Mojave and what I use now.

Also 32-bit vs. 64-bit issues: Apple Support just said (after looking it up) that High Sierra was last OS to be 32-bit. Is this correct??? Everything I read says Mojave is still 32-bit and Catalina is first 64-bit OS so that is a major concern. Am assuming I have to check all old apps to see if they are 32 bit? Are old fonts, mostly Open Type format but sometimes Postscript affected by 64-bit?

A friend with a 2015 iMac just upgraded from El Capitan to Catalina and said it bricked his machine and it was a nightmare getting it back, think he finally got it back from Time Machine. Elsewhere I read of sometimes Time Machine not working as a restore btw. I've never tested mine.Have others had this problem?

If I got to Catalina, can I still use/restore from Mac OS Extended (Journaled) external drives that host my current Time Machine and other back-ups?

Just wondering advantages of each and what various trade-offs might be. Do people like Catalina?

Thanks for all the good advice so far....

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 1:45 PM

To see which Apps will no longer work in 10.15 get Go64...

https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/

I bet the Adobe Apps break.

Mojave will still run many, many 32 bit Apps, Catalina will not.

Trouble with Time Machine is you can't test it until yu need it. it let me down big time & I always use cloning now, which you van test on an external drve or go back to f needed.

Carbon Copy Cloner...

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2022 1:45 PM in response to TurksCap

To see which Apps will no longer work in 10.15 get Go64...

https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/

I bet the Adobe Apps break.

Mojave will still run many, many 32 bit Apps, Catalina will not.

Trouble with Time Machine is you can't test it until yu need it. it let me down big time & I always use cloning now, which you van test on an external drve or go back to f needed.

Carbon Copy Cloner...

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Oct 12, 2022 2:09 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you! Used to use Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper but CC back then was difficult.

If I can free up space, I will try to put CC on one of two partitions on an old external hard drive. I deleted an older Time Machine backup I no longer use on an that old drive to free up space for both my iPhoto Library and possible bootable clone. But now my Mac won't let me completely "Empty the Trash"! I keep getting error messages about items, desktop, my user account as being in use. Ugh....

My newer external drive houses my current Time Machine back-up. Don't dare share that drive with any other folders etc.

Oct 12, 2022 2:15 PM in response to TurksCap

Start with this if IntelMac...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Should I upgrade to Mojave or Catalina? on iMac Retina 5K, 27" Late 2014, 16 GB RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.