Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it difficult to install a new HD into a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014, 16 GB) or add RAM?

Hello, as I ponder how much $ to invest in my old 27" iMac...

I am wondering how difficult is it to upgrade the internal hard drive? It has about 1.3 TB on it, mostly photos and videos that I could move to an external drive. Internal is a Fusion drive, would I need to replace with a Fusion to avoid losing speed? All SSD looks awfully expensive.

Is RAM easy to upgrade to run Adobe apps in Catalina? I saw Apple's pics, but wasn't sure if special tools and skill are needed, or what I could accidentally break.

Just ordered a new external 4 TB drive (not SSD) to use with Carbon Copy Cloner so will be covered there.

TIA

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 11:42 AM

Hi, TurksCap, yes the RAM is easy to upgrade in your iMac Late 2014. The max RAM it’ll support is 32 Gb. Here’s the guide from Apple on that : Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support (CA)

as for the hard drive/storage… hmmm… Apple does not support individuals upgrading the hard drive/SSD in that model and year of iMac. That’s not to say that it can’t be done… it can be… but it’s difficult/tricky..and unless you absolutely know what you’re doing, I’d leave it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider ( AASP) . If you go to apple.com/support… then click on the flag to set your country… then go to the repair part of the webpage, then there should be an option for finding an AASP near you… give ‘em a call or contact them, make an appointment with ‘em, tell ‘em what you want to do and take your iMac in. I’d also suggest, of course that you do and have a backup of your iMac going… eg Time Machine or carbon copy cloner ( in your case) and an external drive of one kind.. yeah, sadly, most of the higher capacity SSD’s are more expensive than more conventional hard drives.. however, they make up for that with faster access time so your iMac will seem to be faster… i’d go with a reputable vendor Eg, OWC , www.Macsales.com) ..a 4TB SSD for that model of iMac would be $579 USD plus shipping+ taxes…

so that’s it I guess..

john B

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2022 11:42 AM in response to TurksCap

Hi, TurksCap, yes the RAM is easy to upgrade in your iMac Late 2014. The max RAM it’ll support is 32 Gb. Here’s the guide from Apple on that : Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support (CA)

as for the hard drive/storage… hmmm… Apple does not support individuals upgrading the hard drive/SSD in that model and year of iMac. That’s not to say that it can’t be done… it can be… but it’s difficult/tricky..and unless you absolutely know what you’re doing, I’d leave it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider ( AASP) . If you go to apple.com/support… then click on the flag to set your country… then go to the repair part of the webpage, then there should be an option for finding an AASP near you… give ‘em a call or contact them, make an appointment with ‘em, tell ‘em what you want to do and take your iMac in. I’d also suggest, of course that you do and have a backup of your iMac going… eg Time Machine or carbon copy cloner ( in your case) and an external drive of one kind.. yeah, sadly, most of the higher capacity SSD’s are more expensive than more conventional hard drives.. however, they make up for that with faster access time so your iMac will seem to be faster… i’d go with a reputable vendor Eg, OWC , www.Macsales.com) ..a 4TB SSD for that model of iMac would be $579 USD plus shipping+ taxes…

so that’s it I guess..

john B

Is it difficult to install a new HD into a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014, 16 GB) or add RAM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.