Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 9th gen & internet connection

I have an iPad 9th gen, with iPadOS 15.7. Even though wifi settings indicate that I'm connected to my home wifi it's not connected and won't connect. I've restarted it several times and did "Forget this Network" and re-entered the password but still doesn't work. Any ideas?

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 10:27 AM

Start here:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

…and here:

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

If your WiFi has been set-up according to Apple’s recommended settings, WiFi and Internet connection difficulties are usually an indication that your device does not have a routable IP Address - your IP Address usually being assigned by DHCP. When this occurs, your iPad may only have a self-assigned link-local IP address that begins 169.254.x.x.

If you have a VPN App or profiles installed, or a security App such as Norton, these may be interfering with DHCP and preventing your device from obtaining a valid IP Address for your iPhone hotspot - or the WiFi network to which you are attempting to connect. The resolution is usually simple; if installed, you may only need to temporarily disable or remove the Security App and/or VPN.

DHCP is frequently used to automatically obtain an IP Address. Until your iPad has a valid IP Address to connect to your network, you will not have an internet connection. Disabling or removing VPN and/or the offending security App should allow DHCP to operate normally - allowing connection to your network and the internet.

If this resolves your issue, the VPN and/or security App can be reinstated after the connectivity problem has been resolved.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2022 10:27 AM in response to mcsmurff

Start here:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

…and here:

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

If your WiFi has been set-up according to Apple’s recommended settings, WiFi and Internet connection difficulties are usually an indication that your device does not have a routable IP Address - your IP Address usually being assigned by DHCP. When this occurs, your iPad may only have a self-assigned link-local IP address that begins 169.254.x.x.

If you have a VPN App or profiles installed, or a security App such as Norton, these may be interfering with DHCP and preventing your device from obtaining a valid IP Address for your iPhone hotspot - or the WiFi network to which you are attempting to connect. The resolution is usually simple; if installed, you may only need to temporarily disable or remove the Security App and/or VPN.

DHCP is frequently used to automatically obtain an IP Address. Until your iPad has a valid IP Address to connect to your network, you will not have an internet connection. Disabling or removing VPN and/or the offending security App should allow DHCP to operate normally - allowing connection to your network and the internet.

If this resolves your issue, the VPN and/or security App can be reinstated after the connectivity problem has been resolved.

Oct 13, 2022 2:42 PM in response to mcsmurff

As described, on the basis of considerable experience, I believe the issue with successful connection to WiFi will be fully cleared if you (1) temporarily delete/remove the Norton App from your iPad - and then (2) perform a forced-restart of the iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

This procedure will effectively reset the iPadOS network stack.

After you have restarted the iPad, it will connect with your WiFi network - after which, should you choose to do so, you can re-install the Norton App.

The Norton App “shims” the network stack by installing a network proxy - and modifies the iPad’s routing table. In some circumstances, often occurring during a system software update, the routing table or the network proxy misbehave - resulting in failure of the DHCP handshake that occurs when attempting to join a WiFi network. Removal and re-installation of the offending proxy clears the issue.

Oct 13, 2022 11:06 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks. I've been able to connect the iPad to my wifi since I bought it in Dec 2021. It just started acting up yesterday. When I turn on "Wi-Fi" it flashes in the upper right hand corner next to battery life and then goes out even though it also says its connected. I haven't changed any settings. Also turned off the Norton VPN and it didn't make a difference. Thx

iPad 9th gen & internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.