Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 14 pro always on display no sound when face down

So I have the always on display feature ON. When the phone is face UP and I receive a phone call or face time call i can hear the sound notification and the display gets brighter. When the phone is face down (the display turns off as part of the always on feature), but if I receive a phone call the display will turn ON, but without any sound. Turning the always on display OFF resolves the issue, however I want to have the feature on and still be able to place my phone face down and hear when someone is calling me. Anyone having the same issue, or any advice on how

to resolve it? (Phone is with sound ON and I am not using any of the focus modes)

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2022 3:57 AM

As replied, I have the same issue. Callers do hear ring tone, my screen lits up and incoming call is shown, but no ring tone is heard.

7 replies

Oct 14, 2022 4:51 PM in response to radoslavvalchanov

Hi, radoslavvalchanov.

If you're sure all settings are correct on your device, and no focus is in use; we'd recommend reaching out to Apple directly about this. There shouldn't be a reason your calls are silent simply from the direction your phone is resting. We'd like to have you check to make sure that you're using the latest version (16.0.3) of software on your iPhone.

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If you're already updated to the latest version, we'd like to ask a few more questions to help with isolating this issue.

• Does this happen with app contacts?
  • If you have a protective case on the device, does the issue remain if you remove the case?
  • Do you know if the other party hears ringing on their end or if it goes straight to voicemail?

Cheers.

Oct 19, 2022 3:54 AM in response to radoslavvalchanov

I have the same issue! I contacted Apple support. Switching off the motion processor should solve this. To find in settings, privacy, motion and … (do not know English name of this menu option). However, in my case this does NOT solve the issue. Switching off the motion detection does not influence this issue at all. Only switching off the always on mode helps. I even tried to put the phone face down on a glass table ( so that the light sensor still receives light and the screen is not switched off completely) but this also does not help. Apple did a hardware check, but all seems fine. I have iOS 16.0.3 by the way. Hope this is solved in a future iOS version. Even using the switching off of the motion detection is a rigid solution, because it disables health options. It would be much better to have a dedicated switch to turn “silence mode at face down” on or off, and keep motion detection enabled.

Oct 21, 2022 12:45 AM in response to radoslavvalchanov

Can you check if it happens also when your phone is on the table with face up, but you cover the light sensor in the Dynamic Island so that the screen is not dimmed anymore but turns off completely?

I have the same issue and first I thought it had something to do with the face down position but then I discovered that I also missed phone calls when the phone was in my pocket. So I tested the situation in which the dynamic island was covered, and indeed, the issue happened also in this situation.

Iphone 14 pro always on display no sound when face down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.