Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

software updating issue on older phone.

i'm getting a message that states that the firmware isnt compatible when i'm trying to download the latest ios update for my 6s plus. was told by a tech that its compatible but i'm not sure as to why is wont complete the download.

iPhone 6s Plus

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 9:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 1:44 AM

You will have to clear up the "other" category which has 72% of your space locked up. Try Force Restarting your iPhone 7 and see whether that cleans up the "other" category and frees up the space.

Force restart iPhone 7

Press and hold both the Volume Down button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time. Continue to hold those buttons until the Apple logo appears, release both buttons. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

Axel F.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2022 1:44 AM in response to WhoDatKid

You will have to clear up the "other" category which has 72% of your space locked up. Try Force Restarting your iPhone 7 and see whether that cleans up the "other" category and frees up the space.

Force restart iPhone 7

Press and hold both the Volume Down button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time. Continue to hold those buttons until the Apple logo appears, release both buttons. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

Axel F.

Oct 13, 2022 10:23 PM in response to WhoDatKid

What is the exact error message that you see on your screen when you attempt to update your iPhone?

Make sure that your iPhone is setup to meet the following requirements before you attempt to update the iOS version over a Wi-Fi Network. Open Settings ➡️ General ➡️ Software Update: If there is an update available for your iPhone then it will be listed here. Follow the on-screen instructions to download and update your iPhone. 

• Your iPhone must have a fast Wi-Fi connection; you cannot update over cellular data or a cellular hotspot
  • The iPhone can not be in Low Power mode
  • The battery state of charge must be above 50%
  • Your iPhone must have at least 6GB or more free storage space
  • Your iPhone cannot be connected through VPN
  • You should leave the phone plugged in until it finishes updating, both to assure that it remains above 50% and to keep Wi-Fi enabled (Wi-Fi turns off when the phone sleeps if not connected to power).

Axel F.

Oct 13, 2022 10:34 PM in response to Axel Foley

All boxes are checked except the fact that I only have 2 GB of space available with only one way of creating more. This is due to the fact that i've deleted the majority of all the apps on the phone and have only gotten about .7 GB of space. the "other" has 72% of my storage taken up and i have absolutely no idea as to why. The only option i have next is to delete all of my photos to see if that will suffice.

software updating issue on older phone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.