Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t update watchOS 8.7.1

No matter what I do, the 8.7.1 stays in “downloading to watch” I can’t get it to complete. Tried the unpairing and resetting the watch, checked my storage to make sure there is enough space, had both the watch and the phone on chargers fully charged and still no luck.

iphone 7, ios 15.8. My watch sr3 and cannot pair with watchOS 7.5

Apple Watch

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 8:22 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Nov 4, 2022 9:30 PM in response to Huytap

There is one way to get your series 3 apple watch to 8.7.1 update.

I successfully did it with my wife and my own series 3 apple watches

Pre-requisites

a) Having iphone 8 or newer, you can do it with your friends iphone just for the update, you can unpair it later( I used iphones 8, 11, and 12 models, I did not try olders).

b) iOS 15.4.1, it won't work with iOS 16 no matter how many times you try.

c) apple watch series 3 in fresh factory reset state.

Steps

1- turn updates OFF in apple watch and iPhone (both charging and WiFI)

2- delete all apps then can be deleted from apple watch, ALL.

3- pair apple watch with the iOS 15.4.1 iphone and let the process be completed

4- from apple watch go to software update and wait long time until the update is downloaded

5- go to settings, general, and tap install in apple watch (or in iphone, both of them work)

6- wait very long time (2-3 hrs) until process is completed

7- enjoy watchOS 8.7.1 fix for series 3

If you did this with somebody else's iphone, just unpair it then pair it with yours.

this works for both series 3 apple watch sizes

Can’t update watchOS 8.7.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.