Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fusion Drive Free Space

I have a 2.12 TB Fusion Drive on my iMac that says it has Macintosh HD 1.06TB partition and a Free Space 1.06TB partition. I'm assuming the Free Space is left over from when I had Windows installed via BCA. How can I reclaim this Free Space partition? Here's what it looks like in Disk Utility

Thanks for the help.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2022 12:59 AM

Hello!

Before making any major partition changes in Disk Utility, make sure you have a Time Machine backup of your Mac:

Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support.

Next, shut down your Mac, then startup into Recovery Mode (Command-R) by immediately pressing and holding those keys at startup. Then, open Disk Utility, and select "View" > "Show All Devices". Click "Partition" on the "Fusion Drive" entry.

Are you able to select "Free space" and click the minus (-) to delete it? That space should then be added back to Macintosh HD.

If not, are you able to manually enter the full "2.12 TB" in the "size" entry for Macintosh HD?

Jack

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2022 12:59 AM in response to curtinsc

Hello!

Before making any major partition changes in Disk Utility, make sure you have a Time Machine backup of your Mac:

Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support.

Next, shut down your Mac, then startup into Recovery Mode (Command-R) by immediately pressing and holding those keys at startup. Then, open Disk Utility, and select "View" > "Show All Devices". Click "Partition" on the "Fusion Drive" entry.

Are you able to select "Free space" and click the minus (-) to delete it? That space should then be added back to Macintosh HD.

If not, are you able to manually enter the full "2.12 TB" in the "size" entry for Macintosh HD?

Jack

Fusion Drive Free Space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.