Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch update 8.7.1 issue.

Just got a watch series 3. When trying to pair it with my iPhone XR it pairs but prompted that a software update is required. I start the update however it gets stuck. It appears that it completes the download however it then goes to “preparing” and gets stuck there. I’ve tried resets, made sure my phone is up to date. Not sure what else to try. Thoughts?

Apple Watch

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2022 2:39 PM

Unfortunately this did not work. I took it to the Apple Store and they said there is nothing I can do and that it was useless and sent me my way. Thanks apple for taking my perfectly working watch and rendering it useless with a software update it can’t handle.

6 replies

Oct 18, 2022 10:04 AM in response to Community User

We're not trying to upgrade to watchOS 9, but to 8.7.1 which IS fully supported on the S3. (it was specifically released FOR the S3!!).

The reason this is impacting people is that under iOS 16, you cannot pair a watch WITHOUT applying the update. So S3 watches are essentially bricked until Apple addresses the issue. I can pair with a phone running iOS 15.7, but not with a phone running iOS 16 due to the required update as part of pairing.

This is not entirely a storage issue. I have a cellular S3, so 16gb. I've freshly wiped it. Watch is currently using 5 out of 16gb. Please don't try to tell me that 11gb free is not enough to apply the 600mb 8.7.1 patch. This is a broken patch from Apple which is being flagged as mandatory on iOS 16. This is a problem.

[Edited by Moderator]

Watch update 8.7.1 issue.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.