Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory: 8GB unified memory Configurable to: 16GB or 24GB. this is missing leading that you can upgrade later?

Hello,

I've just purchase the MacBook Air M2 with 8gb of memory. So when I purchase the MacBook Air with the 8GB of memory instead of the 16GB or 24GB, my intensions were to upgrade my MacBook Air sometime later when I had enough money to be able to do this. But I did notice that the Tech Specs. said that " 8GB unified memory Configurable to: 16GB or 24GB" , which I found out is misleading and should be changed to " On a new purchase only memory can be Configurable to: 16GB or 24GB. So now I'm worried when I start install programs like Photoshop, later OS coming in the future there not going to be enough memory. When I purchased My MacBook Pro 2011 I purchase it with only 8GB of memory then upgrade to 16GB. So I guess I'm stuck with purchase. Thank you Apple for spending my money on new computer that will comply with my needs.

MacBook Air, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 1:49 PM

3 replies

Oct 14, 2022 6:24 PM in response to weatherguyto

You can also provide Apple with product feedback here (Apple will not respond to you):

Product Feedback - Apple

FYI, Apple is not the only manufacturer selling computers with memory or SSDs soldered to the Logic Board, although other manufacturers tend to provide computers which still have removable & upgradeable memory & SSDs. You have to be careful to research devices no matter the manufacturer. Sometimes it is not easy to figure out some of the details.

I agree, manufacturers should clearly state on the product page if the memory or storage is not replaceable/upgradeable after purchase. But everything I see these days is about manufacturers not caring about their customers and in other cases outright trying to deceive them (no I'm not saying Apple is trying to deceive, just that other companies do intentionally deceive people).

Oct 14, 2022 2:36 PM in response to weatherguyto

Since 2012, Apple notebook computer's memory has not been field-upgradeable. it is soldered to the board for maximum reliability.

The boot drive is now also soldered to the board for maximum reliability.

You can configure the size you prefer at time of purchase. There have not been sockets for field-upgrade for Apple notebook computers for over a decade.

If you bought your computer DIRECT from Apple, not from a Reseller of other outlet, you generally have 14 days to return it for a full-value-refund, except in the Far East, where policies vary.

Memory: 8GB unified memory Configurable to: 16GB or 24GB. this is missing leading that you can upgrade later?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.