Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to do a New Full Backup with Time Machine

Hi All,

I'm using Time Machine with it since 3 years but I strongly suspect that I've compromised my backups integrity since I've deleted some of these manually in the past, so now I cannot trust more these backups.

As far as I know, Time Machine works with incremental backup so what I would like to know is how I can redo a new entire backup from scratch of my MacBook pro?

I'm on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 right now and I would like to update to Catalina (I can't update to latest OS version due to HW compatibility issue with some devices I have) and before do that I would like to have a full complete reliable backup of my machine, also in case in the future I'll need to downgrade the OS back from Catalina to Sierra.

Any help we'll be really appreciated.

Many thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 3:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 4:16 PM

My recommendation is to add an additional Time machine backup drive. When you do, Time machine alternates -- every-other backup to every-other drive.

It will create a new, stand-alone backup on the new drive, starting with today. Later the old backup can be removed, stored off site, or erased to start over.

One advantage of this approach is that you continue to have a trusted backup at all times.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2022 4:16 PM in response to Vincent_1989

My recommendation is to add an additional Time machine backup drive. When you do, Time machine alternates -- every-other backup to every-other drive.

It will create a new, stand-alone backup on the new drive, starting with today. Later the old backup can be removed, stored off site, or erased to start over.

One advantage of this approach is that you continue to have a trusted backup at all times.

Oct 14, 2022 4:34 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Many thanks for your answer!

I don't care so much about the older backups, so if I've understood well your suggestion, all I need to do it's to get a new external HD and set time machine to use it.

If I've understood correctly, whenever I change my Time Machine set up to use a new hard disk, a new full backup we'll be created and I can use just this backup for restore purpose, also in case of downgrade OS needs, I'm right?

Many thanks again

Oct 14, 2022 5:25 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Ok, nice to know.

For 'fundemental source' you mean a bootable drive with just the OS and then restore the file from time machine backup?

I hope the upgrade will go well, now I have also to understand how to upgrade from Sierra to Catalina.

I'm a relatively new Mac OS user after many years on Windows, and all these things are new for me.

I can say that I love my Mac Book pro but there are some things that i feel much complicates than Windows.

Maybe it just depend from my knoweledge.

Thanks again for your support

How to do a New Full Backup with Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.