Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail cannot display images when composing new message.

What's the fix for attached images not displaying when composing a new Mail message? Notice that the "View in Place" and "View as icon" is missing from the context menu. Now, if the message is saved as draft then the image will show in the mail preview window, but opening the message composing window will not show the image inline. Received messages also have the context menu option for either icon or image.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 4:59 PM

7 replies

Oct 15, 2022 6:20 PM in response to Longwing

Yes it's the correct forum, but Apple doesn't make it that easy to most where you want to. :)

Here is dragging a JPG to the Mail Compose window of Mail in Mojave 10.14.6...

Only thing I can think of right now is...

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Oct 17, 2022 9:56 AM in response to BDAqua

Yes, thanks, it works with the new account. Now the question is how to to take that default setting (wherever it is) and apply it to my account to fix the problem. I tried checking and tossing preference files but that had no effect. Interestingly, the preview of the compose window shows the image properly. The choice of Image size drop-down on the right hand side existed until I selected "Small" at which point it set the image size permanently and removed the drop-down.

Oct 15, 2022 5:45 PM in response to BDAqua

MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, hopefully this is in the correct thread?

Windows Friendly Attachment option does not affect if images display in the composing message window.

There is no paperclip icon at bottom of window. The clip icon at top of window is for adding attachments....which do not display as anything other than icons.

Oct 17, 2022 3:05 PM in response to BDAqua

Correct. Mail was not running when trashing com.apple.Mail from User/Library/Preferences. I trashed it because when I made the test user profile, that did not create a com.apple.Mail pref file but it DID create com.apple.mail-shared. However, com.apple.Mail is the pref file holding the DisableInlineAttachmentViewing Boolean which can be switched on or off. Either way, even after restarting the computer each time, no effect could be achieved in the message composing window by manipulating the variable or the preference files.

Apple Mail cannot display images when composing new message.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.