Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Couldn’t Open Disk

Hello,

So a couple weeks ago, I wanted to downgrade to MacOS Catalina on my 2018 Macbook Pro 13" and I went ahead and without realizing the cost, erased my installation of macOS Monterey.

I only had one way to use the machine, and that was using Bootcamp Windows (which I had created months before. And had issues entering Recovery Mode over the Internet(Option+Command+R) due to Activation Lock, but that's been solved.)

Upon entering recovery mode and into the macOS Monterey installation screen, no disks are available to install, so naturally, I check Disk Utility. When I checked, it showed that I had the whole 256GB of storage, bootcamp uses 60GB, and the rest is a partition I made in Bootcamp.

After trying to erase the drive, or any of its volumes and it gives me this error: (Both volumes and the entire drive give me the same error)

I also tried to use Terminal, as a similar post suggested

…but still the same error

Due to Activation Lock still being active on the machine, I cannot boot into anything but this recovery mode except Windows.

Anything I could do here?

Thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 8:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2022 6:38 AM

Ok and worked with another User in a similar situation and similar outcome

It was suggested this possible solution. Though, the Other User could not get to work.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator

In conclusion to that uses issue -->> Have the computer evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware / Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2022 6:38 AM in response to edierd

Ok and worked with another User in a similar situation and similar outcome

It was suggested this possible solution. Though, the Other User could not get to work.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator

In conclusion to that uses issue -->> Have the computer evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware / Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

Oct 15, 2022 2:48 AM in response to edierd

This method will WIPE ALL Data and there is No Recovery - Period.

>> Only works on Intel Based Apple Computer <<

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

The Bootable Installer can Only be performed on an Apple Computer 

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Catalina would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Catalina

Notation: If the computer being used to perform this action is Too New or Too Old to qualify to run the version of macOS - this computer can not be used.

Alternative is, to gain access to a Qualifying Apple Computer from a family member, friend or associate.

Extra Special Notation regarding the Touch ID equipped Apple Computer.

About Startup Security Utility and Must Enable from Recovery Mode the ability to boot from External Drive Before Attempting 

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS with the GUID Partition Map. This applies to macOS 10.14 Mojave and above. 

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Couldn’t Open Disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.