You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Putting home folder on external SSD 4TB Thunderbolt 3 drive.

How do I make sure my external SSD 4TB Thunderbolt 3 drive holds my home folder? I want to have the ability to boot from that drive, too.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 8:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2022 12:50 AM

Hello!

Since you'd like to use this external SSD as your startup disk, you're going to need to install macOS and use Migration Assistant to move your home folder, data, and applications to it.

While the steps listed in this User Tip were written for using an external SSD as your startup disk for improved performance over using a slower internal disk, the same steps will work for you: Use an external SSD as your startup disk … - Apple Community.

Jack

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 15, 2022 12:50 AM in response to morbidityinthecrow

Hello!

Since you'd like to use this external SSD as your startup disk, you're going to need to install macOS and use Migration Assistant to move your home folder, data, and applications to it.

While the steps listed in this User Tip were written for using an external SSD as your startup disk for improved performance over using a slower internal disk, the same steps will work for you: Use an external SSD as your startup disk … - Apple Community.

Jack

Putting home folder on external SSD 4TB Thunderbolt 3 drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.