Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

One particular message won’t delete

I have a iPhone 14 pro with iOS 16.0.2.

In messages, I delete my messages to keep my inbox clean but there is one particular message that just doesn’t delete. All other messages and conversations gets deleted without any problem by swiping left and hitting the garbage can.

I am able to delete other messages in that conversation, but with that message there, I can’t delete the whole conversation by swiping left and hitting the garbage can. The whole conversation comes back.

I did not change any setting at all. The problem just suddenly appeared. Please help me solve this issue.

Posted on Oct 15, 2022 11:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2022 11:15 AM

Hi tomoki,

For help with deleting a specific message, check to see if the message can be seen and removed from the recently deleted. The steps below found in the article here can assist: Delete messages on iPhone - Apple Support

"Recover deleted messages in a conversation

You can restore messages you deleted for up to 30 days.

1. At the top of the Messages conversation, tap the Back button, then do one of the following:
    • Tap Edit, then tap Show Recently Deleted.
    • Tap Filters, then tap Recently Deleted.

2.Select the conversations whose messages you want to restore, then tap Recover.

3Tap Recover Messages.

Note: Any message that you delete from a conversation using Undo Send is permanently deleted."

Here you'll want to permanently delete and not restore the message. However, if the issue continues test updating to the latest iOS version and trying again. Update your iPhone or iPad

Cheers.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2022 11:15 AM in response to tomoki.

Hi tomoki,

For help with deleting a specific message, check to see if the message can be seen and removed from the recently deleted. The steps below found in the article here can assist: Delete messages on iPhone - Apple Support

"Recover deleted messages in a conversation

You can restore messages you deleted for up to 30 days.

1. At the top of the Messages conversation, tap the Back button, then do one of the following:
    • Tap Edit, then tap Show Recently Deleted.
    • Tap Filters, then tap Recently Deleted.

2.Select the conversations whose messages you want to restore, then tap Recover.

3Tap Recover Messages.

Note: Any message that you delete from a conversation using Undo Send is permanently deleted."

Here you'll want to permanently delete and not restore the message. However, if the issue continues test updating to the latest iOS version and trying again. Update your iPhone or iPad

Cheers.

One particular message won’t delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.