Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Big Sur offically support *existing* encrypted HFS+ drives?

There are many threads on this but I haven't seen my question anywhere.

I have a few encrypted MacOS Extended Journaled (HFS+) hard drives (spinning disks) created over the years, on older (now dead) Macs/MacOS. They still work or kind of work or kind of work on my MBP 2021 / Big Sur: I can decrypt and add content. These are manual backups, not Time Machine.

The newest hard drive works fine but the older ones keep disconnecting or getting stuck. I do not know if it is because they are old or because I have to use usb-to-usbc connectors wherease the newest one is a usb-c drive.

My question is: Is this "decrypt HFS+ and add content" workflow officially supported in Big Sur? Or it is just by luck that I can do that? (Given that the actual encryption of HFS+ is no longer supported.)

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 16, 2022 9:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2022 7:16 PM

I have seen reports on these forums that Monterey may no longer access encrypted HFS+ external drives and encrypted .dmg files, but I am not certain. I have not seen any reports regarding Big Sur having any issues.

Things have gotten complicated with later versions of macOS (especially 12.x Monterey) and the M1/M2 Macs with Apple Silicon. Not all external devices are compatible with Apple Silicon Macs. Plus some third party devices and drivers tend to produce compatibility issues with other devices especially if those other external devices are connected when connecting & using an external drive (especially common with macOS Monterey -- less of an issue with Big Sur but may still occur from time to time).

Try disconnecting all other external devices from the Mac to see if that resolves your problem. Make sure to connect the external drive directly to the Mac. If you need to use an adapter to connect the drive, then try using another adapter especially a different brand (definitely try the Apple branded adapter. Try connecting the drive to another USB port especially on the other side of the Mac if you are using a laptop.

You can try checking the health of those external drives by running DriveDx. You will need to install a special third party USB driver in order to attempt to access the external drive's health information. However, even with the special USB driver, some USB chipsets used by adapters, docks, or enclosures may not allow the necessary communication to access the drive's health information. For hard drives, any "Warning" or "Failing" notices indicate a worn out or failing drive respectively. If these are SSD drives, then the health reports will need to be manually interpreted to confirm if they indicate a failing SSD. You can post the complete DriveDx text report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

I hope you have a backup of the data on those encrypted drives.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2022 7:16 PM in response to unixnerd09

I have seen reports on these forums that Monterey may no longer access encrypted HFS+ external drives and encrypted .dmg files, but I am not certain. I have not seen any reports regarding Big Sur having any issues.

Things have gotten complicated with later versions of macOS (especially 12.x Monterey) and the M1/M2 Macs with Apple Silicon. Not all external devices are compatible with Apple Silicon Macs. Plus some third party devices and drivers tend to produce compatibility issues with other devices especially if those other external devices are connected when connecting & using an external drive (especially common with macOS Monterey -- less of an issue with Big Sur but may still occur from time to time).

Try disconnecting all other external devices from the Mac to see if that resolves your problem. Make sure to connect the external drive directly to the Mac. If you need to use an adapter to connect the drive, then try using another adapter especially a different brand (definitely try the Apple branded adapter. Try connecting the drive to another USB port especially on the other side of the Mac if you are using a laptop.

You can try checking the health of those external drives by running DriveDx. You will need to install a special third party USB driver in order to attempt to access the external drive's health information. However, even with the special USB driver, some USB chipsets used by adapters, docks, or enclosures may not allow the necessary communication to access the drive's health information. For hard drives, any "Warning" or "Failing" notices indicate a worn out or failing drive respectively. If these are SSD drives, then the health reports will need to be manually interpreted to confirm if they indicate a failing SSD. You can post the complete DriveDx text report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

I hope you have a backup of the data on those encrypted drives.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data.

Oct 16, 2022 8:39 PM in response to HWTech

Thank you, this is very convincing. Yes, I just backed everything up to a unencrypted HFS+, which I can also access (read-only) in Linux without any additional packages. So I am not worried about that. Like you suggest, it does not look like a long-term sustainable encrypted solution is possible; it is even worse than I suspected. I did not hear about dmg. I will try your suggestions though, out of curiosity.

The only thing is I have to make sure I do not lose the unencrypted drives :) Encryption was jut for peace of mind but now it's the opposite....

Oct 17, 2022 6:23 AM in response to unixnerd09

Apple is focusing more on APFS volumes these days, so you could try using APFS on the external encrypted drives. I'm not a fan of APFS at the moment since it seems to become corrupted where First Aid is unable to repair it which requires erasing the entire drive & restoring from a backup. It is hard to say whether a data drive would suffer the same fate or if it is just the constant access of a boot drive which damages APFS volumes. Also, the APFS file system is not a good choice for a hard drive as it makes the drive work much harder. APFS was designed for SSDs.

I believe macOS Monterey now requires a Time Machine drive to be formatted as APFS.

FYI, if you don't enable journalling on the HFS+ volume, then Linux can write to the volume. Whether this is a good idea I don't know since I'm not sure how well supported HFS writing is on Linux.

If you need to share encrypted drives between different operating systems, you should check out Veracrypt.

Does Big Sur offically support *existing* encrypted HFS+ drives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.