Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have to format shared folder in Synology to make Time Machine possible?

Hi,

Next week I try to help a friend to use his NAS Synology DS 220+ met 2x Western Digital Red Plus WD60EFZX 6TB for as a Time machine backup place. He uses a 24" iMac. I wil use this and this link to accomplish it.

When I watch and read this info, I miss the formatting to APFS..

Will it work, when I do the steps mentions in the two links? I hope so!

Or is there a better tutorial for me to handle this?

I appreciate your reactions!

Tom

(Netherlands)

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 16, 2022 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2022 10:31 PM

FWIW, I have a Synology DS916+ and have been using it for Time Machine since 2018. I used the following Synology Support article to set it up:

DSM, the Synology's operating system does not support creating APFS-formatted drives ... and, they would be totally unnecessary in this case. I just used the default bfrs formatting for each of the four drives in my NAS, and then, used that support article to configure a "share" for Time Machine.

Since macOS Sierra+ supports SMB3, make sure it is enabled in DSM > File Services > SMB/AFP/NFS > SMB > Advanced Settings > Maximum SMB protocol: SMB3 & Minimum SMB protocol: SMB2. You do not want to use AFP.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2022 10:31 PM in response to Lengerke

FWIW, I have a Synology DS916+ and have been using it for Time Machine since 2018. I used the following Synology Support article to set it up:

DSM, the Synology's operating system does not support creating APFS-formatted drives ... and, they would be totally unnecessary in this case. I just used the default bfrs formatting for each of the four drives in my NAS, and then, used that support article to configure a "share" for Time Machine.

Since macOS Sierra+ supports SMB3, make sure it is enabled in DSM > File Services > SMB/AFP/NFS > SMB > Advanced Settings > Maximum SMB protocol: SMB3 & Minimum SMB protocol: SMB2. You do not want to use AFP.

Oct 16, 2022 4:18 PM in response to Lengerke

Any disk used for Time Machine must be properly formatted. As I understand it, Time Machine actually does that when setting it up. In the alternative you could do what I've always done. When I get a new external disk I first use Disk Utility to erase and reformat the disk. I never use any of the so-called maintenance software that comes with the disk. I've found that they can cause problems. Then it's just a matter of opening Time Machine and following its instructions. The process is not complex.

Oct 16, 2022 4:40 PM in response to Lengerke

Tom, the two links you included in your post, are great to follow. You don't specifically need to format the shared directory (That is what it is on the NAS) that will appear on your friends mac as APFS. That is for direct connected hard drives. I didn't watch the video but in the research I've done be sure to set the share limit to 1.5X the size of the drive of the mac. Otherwise the Time Machine backup will eventually take up all the space on the NAS.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Do I have to format shared folder in Synology to make Time Machine possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.