Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootable Startup Drive Problem

How do I create an HFS bootable startup drive for Intel?

Here are my steps on an Intel iMac running Big Sur:

1. Format an external HDD as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using GUID Partition Map.
  2. Tell Install Disk Creator (or Terminal) to make this drive a bootable Mojave startup drive.
  3. Success! 

Except… Install Disk Creator and Terminal both insist on reformatting the target drive as APFS.

Problem: APFS is designed for SSDs. It will thrash-and-trash HDDs. 

Is there no way to create an HFS bootable startup drive for Intel on Intel?

Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 16, 2022 5:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2022 6:21 PM

I'm a bit confused here. You can create a bootable macOS USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If you are installing macOS 10.13+, then macOS will insist on using APFS for the boot drive. At one time it was possible to install macOS 10.13 (and possibly 10.14) and retain the HFS+ volume, but this required a modification to a file on the USB installer. You should be able to find instructions if you search online.

However, macOS 10.15+ requires an APFS volume for the boot drive and there is no way around it.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2022 6:21 PM in response to Al Hatch

I'm a bit confused here. You can create a bootable macOS USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If you are installing macOS 10.13+, then macOS will insist on using APFS for the boot drive. At one time it was possible to install macOS 10.13 (and possibly 10.14) and retain the HFS+ volume, but this required a modification to a file on the USB installer. You should be able to find instructions if you search online.

However, macOS 10.15+ requires an APFS volume for the boot drive and there is no way around it.

Oct 16, 2022 6:56 PM in response to HWTech

That's what I was afraid of.

One application I need will run on nothing later than Mojave 10.14.6.

Booting into macOS from an external drive is not my problem. That's easy.

What I wanted was to have that external drive HFS+. You have confirmed that it is not possible.

I'm going to abandon the HDD for this.

Thanks.

Bootable Startup Drive Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.