Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Keyboard Typing Wrong Characters

I have a Mid 2012 MacBook Pro running macOS Catalina (10.15). I am unable to login because keyboard is not working properly.  It is typing random symbols rather than the appropriate letters. It appears as if the option key is stuck. It is not physically stuck but types the option key characters.  Is there any way to fix this from the login screen?  I am unable to access any settings or preferences since I cannot login. 

I have tried switching to different keyboard languages on the login screen using the input sources option at the top right of the screen and that has not helped.

I’m not sure if this is relevant but I recently installed Windows 10 using Boot Camp Assistant a few days ago.  Everything was working fine on both operating systems until today.  

I know it is an old MacBook but it has always been extremely reliable until today.  I have important photos and documents that I do not want to lose.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 16, 2022 8:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2022 9:23 PM

Try an external keyboard (doesn't have to be from Apple).

Similar questions

1 reply

MacBook Pro Keyboard Typing Wrong Characters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.