Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

non mp3 Apple Play to Google home

Is there a way of casting music from Apple Play to Google home that provide better quality than mp3?

I have Apple Music enabled on Google home but what to have more control over what I play than can be provided by voice instruction

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 17, 2022 1:15 AM

5 replies

Oct 18, 2022 1:41 PM in response to Adverseselection

Hi Adverseselection,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today.

It sounds like you are interested in lossless audio for Apple Music. You can learn more about this feature here: About lossless audio in Apple Music, however, your Google device won't play lossless from Apple Music.

"How to listen to lossless on your iPhone or iPad

What you need

You can listen to lossless on an iPhone or iPad updated to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS using:

• A wired connection to headphones, receivers, or powered speakers
  • The built-in speakers
  • To listen to songs at sample rates higher than 48 kHz, you need an external digital-to-analog converter.

How to turn lossless on or off

1. Go to Settings > Music.
  2. Tap Audio Quality.
  3. Tap Lossless Audio to turn it on or off. From here, you can choose the audio quality for streaming and downloading audio.
    • Lossless for a maximum resolution of 24-bit/48 kHz
    • Hi-Res Lossless for a maximum resolution of 24-bit/192 kHz"

Have a fantastic day!

Nov 24, 2022 4:12 PM in response to MichaelB2019

Thanks for the info. On a closely related point, I have purchased a quality pair of active speaker which accept lossless music from a WiSA transmitter which is set up for Airplay 2, Roon, Spotify connect etc. I'm interested in understanding, if I play Apple music over it using Airplay operated from my Mac or iPhone, is the music stream actually passing through my Apple device, or is the device being used only as a controller? The intention of my question is to understand whether and to what extent, the music quality may be compromised.

Nov 24, 2022 6:17 PM in response to Adverseselection

Hey there Adverseselection,

It looks like that's something we're not going to have an answer for, but for the Apple side of things regarding your original question, it looks like your questions have been answered.

If you do need more help regarding the lossless audio feature, we wanted to make sure you had this for your reference: About lossless audio in Apple Music We also wanted to make sure you had a way to contact Apple Support just in case you do need more help with this as they'll be in the best position to continue with you: Get Support

Please keep in mind that you may want to contact Google Support about possible higher audio features for their devices.

Cheers!

non mp3 Apple Play to Google home

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.