Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exchange Password Required

This is getting really quite frustrating. I keep getting the message Exchange Password Required "Enter your password for "my name" in Internet Accounts" on my MacBook Air. Now this never happens on my iPhone or iPad or Mac. Only on the MacBook Air. Yet all the configurations and settings are identical on each device. Does anyone else have this problem and is there a fix ? my MacBook air is up to date and it is becoming really annoying.

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 7:10 PM

If you can't send or receive email on your Mac - Apple Support describes the problem you are experiencing and what to do about it. Scroll down toward the end, where it suggests removing the affected email account(s), followed by adding them again.

Upon adding the account and providing your name, password, and two-factor authentication (if required) the Exchange server will automatically populate its additional required settings.

Barney-15's instructions should work but it has been my experience this is the most expedient way to fix that particular MS Exchange annoyance. It will be required every time they update Exchange or otherwise make some change to the way they implement it.

Be sure to heed the Important note in the first document, although every Exchange account I know of retains your messages on the Exchange server.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2022 7:10 PM in response to SL8571

If you can't send or receive email on your Mac - Apple Support describes the problem you are experiencing and what to do about it. Scroll down toward the end, where it suggests removing the affected email account(s), followed by adding them again.

Upon adding the account and providing your name, password, and two-factor authentication (if required) the Exchange server will automatically populate its additional required settings.

Barney-15's instructions should work but it has been my experience this is the most expedient way to fix that particular MS Exchange annoyance. It will be required every time they update Exchange or otherwise make some change to the way they implement it.

Be sure to heed the Important note in the first document, although every Exchange account I know of retains your messages on the Exchange server.

Oct 18, 2022 5:32 PM in response to SL8571

Mail has had a long history of getting confused with passwords. Open Keychain Access and search for any entries for that exchange account. Delete the entries and then open Mail and enter the correct password for the account. It may or may not solve the problem.

The entries you are looking for are just the account login, not something that uses your email address but doesn't have any association with the exchange server.

Oct 19, 2022 10:44 AM in response to SL8571

Remove / add is the gold standard of fixing a misconfigured Exchange account. If your Mac is running any recent macOS version, then the problem lies with the way the Exchange server is configured. The only show-stopper might be a really old macOS Mail version. For example I can't get El Capitan to work with Exchange at all.

Microsoft has always had their own way of doing things, and it's quite possible they simply don't want you to use Mail.

By the way the "Exchange password required" nag will appear if any setting is not to its liking. The password you are providing may be 100% correct and you'll get the same nag.

Oct 21, 2022 8:12 AM in response to John Galt

I have removed the accounts, deleted any reference on keychain and re-added the accounts. Worked well for 1hr then the messages returned. Again I must stress this only happens on the MacBook Air. Every other device iPhone, iPad and Mac work fine and I have compared the configuration on each to ensure they are the same. I am at the point of just removing email from the MacBook Air as it has now become far too frustrating and I can see this very issues is impacting many others too.

Exchange Password Required

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.