Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

location of photos library in icloud

recently moved photos to icloud, works fine;

but if i check my mac ssd there is a photos library with originals;

actually that's bigger than the photos i moved to icloud

i want everything to be located on icloud, including library,

why am i seeing this -photoslibrary on my mac,

is the library not located in icloud?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 11:16 AM

The photos library stays on your Mac. If you want to potentially reduce the storage used on your Mac, turn on the Optimize Storage option in Photos Preferences. More information in: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Another option is to move the library to an external drive. Moving it to iCloud or another cloud service is not an option. See: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2022 11:16 AM in response to cezi

The photos library stays on your Mac. If you want to potentially reduce the storage used on your Mac, turn on the Optimize Storage option in Photos Preferences. More information in: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Another option is to move the library to an external drive. Moving it to iCloud or another cloud service is not an option. See: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

Oct 18, 2022 1:08 PM in response to FoxFifth

thank you for your reply,

but now i am confused,

i expected to save storage on my mac to bring all photos to icloud

but now the library and a ton of folders with 'originals' are still eating GB's of my macs ssd

what's the use of icloud if you can not move pictures away from your mac completely?

location of photos library in icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.