Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dolby Atmos

I can no longer get Dolby Atmos on Disney + , only 5 channel.

Has anyone else suffered this as well.

Posted on Oct 19, 2022 2:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2022 2:48 AM

Do you have the Apple TV box? If so, which model? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Verify that the chosen content has Dolby Atmos available in the stream. Not all content will have that.

Does content in other apps still have Dolby Atmos available? If so, then it is an app issue or content provider issue. Then contact Disney about it.

Verify that Audio Format is set to Auto (Change Format Off), and with Dolby Atmos set to On, for content that has that.

Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV - Apple Support

Set up Dolby Atmos or surround sound on Apple TV with a sound bar or AV receiver - Apple Support

What is your audio setup?

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2022 2:48 AM in response to Bruiserfox

Do you have the Apple TV box? If so, which model? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Verify that the chosen content has Dolby Atmos available in the stream. Not all content will have that.

Does content in other apps still have Dolby Atmos available? If so, then it is an app issue or content provider issue. Then contact Disney about it.

Verify that Audio Format is set to Auto (Change Format Off), and with Dolby Atmos set to On, for content that has that.

Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV - Apple Support

Set up Dolby Atmos or surround sound on Apple TV with a sound bar or AV receiver - Apple Support

What is your audio setup?

Oct 20, 2022 12:05 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks Urquhart1244!

I'll check the ATV model number when I get home, but it is the 4k one that offers Dolby Atmos.

I feel like I've already done the settings you're suggesting, but I'll try it again. I did check my receiver settings on my Denon X1600H (7.1 speaker system) and I believe those are correct (see link for details: Having issues with ATV 4K! Dolby Atmos no… - Apple Community). If that doesn't work, I'll call Apple Support for additional assistance. Or, I may just return my ATV 4K. I bought it this last Sunday, so I can still return it.

Btw...is there a way to turn off the PCM option on an ATV 4K?

Oct 19, 2022 3:10 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Hi Urquhart1244.

Thx for your prompt and concise reply.

I am reasonably tech savvy, while not an expert.

I had no problem getting Atmos on Disney+ on Apple 4k or Chromecast with Google TV until recently. Suddenly I could only get PCM stereo on Google TV. I spoke to Disney + and they acknowledged a problem with an

update. At the time there was no problem with Disney+ on Apple 4K. Soon with me making no conscious changes Google TV improved to 5 channel and at the same time Apple 4K lost Atmos and dropped to 5 channel. Most mysterious wouldn't you agree?

Definitely a Disney+ problem but I am just curious whether other Apple 4k users had suffered the same problem?

Oct 19, 2022 3:44 PM in response to vazandrew

Hi.

Yes all the usual things.

Reinstalled Disney+ on both streaming devices, power cycle the whole system, checked all menu options were set correctly.

Disney+ acknowledges the problem but offer no solution other a " possible " update fix and a month's subscription refund.

The constant changing of the nature of the problem is mysterious.

Never mind. Atmos is back, ( for the moment anyway. )

Onward and upward.

Oct 19, 2022 4:02 PM in response to Bruiserfox

You mention troubleshooting done for the device, but you hadn’t specified anything done specifically around your speaker system. If this a receiver based system or a Soundbar? Did you do a reboot there? Check firmware? Check cables?

If there were a Disney problem I would the think it’s specifically for the chromecast as I do not see any problem with ATV or reports from other users. The fact that you’ve seen it come and go between your devices is why I suggested checking the speaker system itself.

In any case, hope you’re able to resolve. Good luck

Oct 20, 2022 12:20 PM in response to SSalazar1

Yeah, make sure to check ensure that it is set to auto for audio output (Settings > Video and Audio > Audio Format ) and also that quick start is enabled (Settings > Apps > iTunes Movies and TV Shows > Quick Start.)

If the issue is isolated to an app, then it would be a service issue and the provider would need to investigate in order to rectify. If it is experienced system wide then Apple support would be a good step so they can run through some further things with you to narrow down the issue.

As for the audio settings. Apple TV uses the MAT container to send out LPCM when set to auto. The only other option is to set it to change format and select DD 5.1 or stereo.

Dolby Atmos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.