Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much storage do i need for Air 2022 ipad?

I have a 128gb iphone 13 mini. I want to buy an Air 2022 ipad 64 gb model. Should i get or do i need 256gb model which in UK is £170 more? I will probably use storage for videos and movies, especially when travelling.

iPad Air 5 Wi-Fi

Posted on Oct 19, 2022 1:59 AM

7 replies

Oct 19, 2022 3:03 AM in response to do225

Unless your intended use is principally for accessing the internet or web-Apps alone, the 64GB internal storage option is very likely to be too restrictive. Video and movie files can be very large.

64GB is the total internal storage, of which the installed Operating System and system caches can easily use 20GB or more - leaving much less as available user-storage.

Whatever model of iPad you choose, you would be well advised to purchase as much internal storage as your budget will allow - as internal storage cannot be changed, upgraded or extended. The available internal storage is fixed for the entire life of the device. If you run out of internal storage for your documents, photos and other data, you will forever struggle and become a source of frustration. It is far better to have more storage than you need, than to need more storage than you have.

A good rule of thumb is to quantify how much data storage you will need - add a healthy margin - then double it. If you are unable to quantify your data storage needs, it becomes more difficult; whilst I cannot make definitive recommendations, personally I would council against purchase of any iPad with any less than 256GB storage - 512GB or greater offering a greater level of safety.  

Within the Apple Support Communities we see regular tales of woe and disappointment when storage requirements are exceeded, necessitating replacement of the device; by contrast, we never see complaint of having too much available storage. It is relatively easy to fill limited internal storage space; perhaps consider higher tiers of storage as providing room for growth as your needs develop or mature - potentially extending the useful usable life of the device. 

Consider also the functional differences between WiFi Only and WiFi+Cellular models of iPad. Only WiFi+Cellular models include GPS capabilities - which may impact any Apps or features that require accurate and consistent location data, such as Mapping. Purchase of a WiFi+Cellular model does not commit you to using Cellular connections, but provides this flexibility should it be needed.  WiFi Only models of iPad have no Cellular or GPS functions at all.

I hope this information and insight proves to be helpful to you.

Oct 21, 2022 2:34 PM in response to do225

A 64 GBs storage iPad starts out with approx. 60 GBs.,after initial internal flash drive formatting.

Minus approx. 6.5 GBs for iOS/iPadOS leaves between 53-54 GBs.

Minus 3-6 GBs, for iOS/iPadOS system operational reserve, that MUST BE MAINTAINED AT ALL TIMES, to ensure/insure normal, expected operation of iOS/iPad OS, leaves approx. between 48-50 GBs of actual, usable data storage space.

256 GBs storage iPad starts out with approx. 238.5GBs.,after initial internal flash drive formatting.

Minus approx. 6.5 GBs for iOS/iPadOS leaves 231.0 GBs.

Minus 3-6 GBs, for iOS/iPadOS system operational reserve, that MUST BE MAINTAINED AT ALL TIMES, to ensure/insure normal, expected operation of iOS/iPad OS, leaves approx. between 224-228 GBs of actual, usable data storage space.

You should really consider the 256 GBs storage model iPad.

How much storage do i need for Air 2022 ipad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.