Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Related Article: Mac keyboard shortcuts

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can we REMOVE the Recents shortcut from Finder?

I am using Magnet (app) and I would like to use Command-Shift-F shortcut for the app window to maximise (spread across the available screen space).

I am unable to assign the shortcut key combination to Magnet because Finder is using it.

In Finder, Command-Shift-F, opens and shows the Recents.

How can I remove the Recents shortcut from Finder?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 19, 2022 4:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2022 4:53 AM

According to information is this link Mac keyboard shortcuts - Apple Support (CA) the shortcut is question is Hard Wired within the Operating System

Change a conflicting keyboard shortcut on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

6 replies

Oct 19, 2022 8:42 AM in response to PRP_53

In previous versions of MacOS / macOS it was possible to reassign almost all of the shortcuts through System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Applications. As that is no longer possible, I'm looking a way to either edit .plist file or some internal reference pointer to the key combination.

To append my question and provide insight:

I'm aware that the shortcut in question is present in Finder, but to reply to P. Philips it is not on the System Level and it's not Hard Wired. Finder is just an app, like any other, and when Finder is not active, the shortcut is not active.

An example of "Hard Wired" (oh how I hate this term now) shortcut is the Spotlight or any of the Expose (Mission Control) commands/actions.

[Edited by Moderator]

Oct 19, 2022 2:24 PM in response to Auxburgo

I do know, from above reply, the user appears to have taken exception to the word usage and perhaps a Sorry is in order ?

What I do know is some Apple Keyboard Combination have existed since about OS X 10.4 Tiger back in about 2004 / 05 and remain the same Keyboard Command today under Monterey macOS 12.

That is 14 Newer version of OS X / macOS and probably will remind in the 15th. version of macOS 13 Ventura (TBA ).

So in essence - " Hard Wired " may have not been so Technically correct - in spirit , it would appear they are Baked into each version of OS X / macOS as outlined earlier

Further - the supplied link does provide information on Reassigning Keyboard Combos to Other functions.

Excerpt from above mentioned link " It’s possible to have keyboard shortcuts for one app that conflict with another app. "

Thereafter - try the suggestion from Contributor above

How can we REMOVE the Recents shortcut from Finder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.