Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I unlock an iphone Locked To Owner. When I don't know the the first person that used it.

How can I unlock an iphone Locked To Owner. When I don't know the the first person that used it.

iPhone XS

Posted on Oct 19, 2022 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2022 2:46 PM

If your device is “Activation Locked” and you don’t know the “locking owner” …

… the device will NEVER work for you.

At that point your only options are to obtain a refund or recycle the device.

This is a theft-deterrent measure; purposely INTENDED to disable the device; thereby making it worthless.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2022 2:46 PM in response to adeniji33

If your device is “Activation Locked” and you don’t know the “locking owner” …

… the device will NEVER work for you.

At that point your only options are to obtain a refund or recycle the device.

This is a theft-deterrent measure; purposely INTENDED to disable the device; thereby making it worthless.

Oct 28, 2022 5:59 PM in response to adeniji33

They absolutely should not. If you were sold a phone that is locked to someone other than the person that sold it to you then it is for all intents and purposes stolen. In that vain you need to follow the appropriate steps to get a refund. Although you are a victim to being sold/given a phone that is locked you are in the possession of something that never should have been made available to you and belongs to someone else. No reason Apple should ignore that fact and find a solution that benefits you because someone passed it on to you.

Oct 28, 2022 6:10 PM in response to adeniji33

adeniji33 wrote:

Thanks Chattanooga,
But Apple should try and find solution to this issue.

Apple already created the solution to this issue, but it is not the one you wish to have happen.

Apple created activation lock which is a system 100% under the control of device owners. Device owners set it up, and device owners (legitimate owners) are responsible for disabling it before selling or giving away their own personal property.

Apple takes no role of any kind in the sale or exchange of people’s private property and activation lock. They created the system specifically such that the responsibility is solely with device owners.

Thus when a used device is sold with activation lock still enabled, the odds are high that in that case, it is doing exactly what it is intended to do. Which is preventing anyone but the legal and legitimate owner of the device from using it.

Since Apple has no means of verifying ownership of private property that may have exchanged hands numerous times, they do not intervene at all. They’ve empowered owners to control that, so when a device has not been released by its owner for sale or exchange, the assumption is the device is nit legitimately available for sale or exchange. Thus Activation Lock is working as designed when it prevents someone from using someone else’s device.

Admittedly it is not pleasant when you unsuspectingly purchase a locked device. But Apple should not intervene and aid the sale of illegally sold or exchanged devices by stepping in and enabling use of the device.

Oct 29, 2022 6:37 AM in response to adeniji33

Re: “… Apple should try and find solution to this issue …”

It’s not a “issue” requiring a solution … it’s purposely designed-in “feature.”

And for those old enough to remember when you nearly had to chain an iPhone to your person to prevent it from being stolen …

… it’s a very WELCOME feature; as it removes most of the economic incentive for phone theft.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.