You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off new follow up function in IOS mail

How can I turn this new function off - permanently. It is driving me to distraction. My in box is no longer ordered conveniently by date. I can’t find anything any more. I also can’t find any way to switch this new function (that I never asked for) off.

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 8:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2022 8:21 AM

I too have this problem. The follow-up option is definitely disabled on both my macbook and my iphone. I am running the most recent version of software on both. Both macbook and iPhone have been restarted since disabling this feature but I am still getting these infuriating follow-up emails appearing in my inbox (why anyone would want this I do not know!). It is infuriating. Apple PLEASE sort the disable option so that it actually disables the feature!

Similar questions

27 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 6, 2022 8:21 AM in response to Richard_ Milham

I too have this problem. The follow-up option is definitely disabled on both my macbook and my iphone. I am running the most recent version of software on both. Both macbook and iPhone have been restarted since disabling this feature but I am still getting these infuriating follow-up emails appearing in my inbox (why anyone would want this I do not know!). It is infuriating. Apple PLEASE sort the disable option so that it actually disables the feature!

Feb 23, 2023 7:45 PM in response to Grace2211

Um, no. This does not stop Follow Up if the email you sent *contains a question mark*. When I tell it to turn off follow up, I expect it to turn off follow up completely and totally. It doesn't. This is another automatic thing that Apple should stop doing. It's annoying. And in any event, even if what you said worked, it should be turned off by default.

Oct 28, 2022 10:03 AM in response to Cora278

Hi Cora!

The other suggestion is valuable for a mobile device, but on a laptop or desktop it is slightly different.

If you are using macOS Ventura (13.0) and Mail.app, do this instead:

1) Go into Mail.

2) Click Mail and choose Settings.

3) On the General tab you will see the option to check or uncheck "Enable message follow up suggestions"

4) Uncheck it if you want to disable the behavior.

I made a screenshot of that and you will see it attached here.

I hope this helps...

Feb 20, 2023 6:14 AM in response to Cora278

Dear Apple,

Thanks for innovating, but please make it clear when you enable the feature, and how to disable. My first experience of this feature was when I sent an email to my office IT support team. After the first message, the conversation takes place through other channels. Seeing the original message pop up is just distracting.

I know enabling by default will drive feature uptake, but please, try to drive engagement other ways.

-Matt

Nov 3, 2022 6:39 AM in response to NotAnExile

I am no expert. But if it is still persisting. Maybe write a rule in mail for follow-up to a folder you create. This way it would move it from your inbox at least.

I had one or two follow ups come after I turned the feature off in settings, but they were follow ups that I had told to remind me tomorrow, I was experimenting with it at first.

Other than the suggestion above I have nothing else to offer, sorry! LMK if ANYTHING gets solved, I'll pass it forward.

Turn off new follow up function in IOS mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.